Diets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillian1966

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi my name is Gillian, I am a type 2 , been only 2 weeks, I need some help as well as i am on a fodmap diet , with no wheat, gluten free, only free pineapple and strawberries as free, peppers, carrots, green beans , broccoli. No cheese, eggs, any fried food, beetroot.
The last is waiting for gallstones to be removed, any help on meals?

My friend is on that. Good luck. 🙂 I was wondering about pineapple last night. Can you eat it on an empty stomach? I am afraid it might start eating me!

I should have bought a tin of pineapple this morning, I want some now. 🙂

It had to be fresh, not canned, I have just found out pineapple is so high in sugar, been eating daily, will not help my next blood test at beginning of june, first 1 of 3 months only 104, cannot get any higher, from being normal in such a small time, as drs informed.

The strawberries, and possibly other fruits called berry should be alright in small amounts - but I only eat frozen berries in small portions, maximum of twice a week. Peppers green beans and cauliflower are on my list, - and there are lots of other things low in carbs which should be OK. Maybe use things suitable for a stir fry but use stock instead of fat?

The strawberries, and possibly other fruits called berry should be alright in small amounts - but I only eat frozen berries in small portions, maximum of twice a week. Peppers green beans and cauliflower are on my list, - and there are lots of other things low in carbs which should be OK. Maybe use things suitable for a stir fry but use stock instead of fat?
Thanks for your reply, cauliflower not on list, cabbage not allowed, it's not only low carbs, eggs upset me, just plodding alone , worried my gluten free and milk free cakes are bad for my dietetic, low sugar baked beans are not good for me either.

Ah - sorry my brain 'translated' brocolli as cauliflower - they are basically the same, I will say in its defence...
Baked beans are no good - they are high carb - starch has to be counted not just the sugar.

Welcome to the forum @Gillian1966

I don’t have any personal experience of FODMAP, but the foods that are generally recognised as being the most important to consider when living with diabetes are carbohydrates, both the obvious sugars, and also the more complex starches.

One of the biggest questions when newly diagnosed is often ‘what can I eat’ and while there are obvious things like cakes, biscuits, sweets and sugary drinks that you will be wanting to cut out straight away, you might be surprised how much *all* carbohydrate affects your BG levels, including rice, pasta, bread, pastry, grains, cereals and many fruits. And as you’ve discovered some ‘free’ fodmap foods like pineapple may cause BG upheaval.

The really tricky thing is that blood glucose responses to food are highly individual, and it can be impossible to say which forms and amounts of carbohydrate, grains, fruits or starchy vegetables will ‘spike’ your BG without checking for yourself. But the good news is that it is possible to check this for yourself and tailor your own ideal FODMAP+diabetes way of eating that suits you and your BG levels.

You can use a BG meter, checking before and after meals, and noting what the differences are. That way you can identify any carbs that seem to be causing significant BG variation and try swapping, removing or reducing them (sometimes just having things at a different time of day makes a difference)

If you are interested in using a BG meter to find out how different foods affect your BG personally, you may find test-review-adjust by Alan S a helpful framework.

One of the most affordable meters members here have found is from SD, and has been recently updated to the SD Gluco Navii which has test strips at around £8 for 50

You have already received a lot of info, so I won’t repeat it.
I will just encourage you to ask any questions that you have.
No questions are considered silly on here.
People will just be happy to help in any way that we can

I don’t have any personal experience of FODMAP, but the foods that are generally recognised as being the most important to consider when living with diabetes are carbohydrates, both the obvious sugars, and also the more complex starches.

One of the biggest questions when newly diagnosed is often ‘what can I eat’ and while there are obvious things like cakes, biscuits, sweets and sugary drinks that you will be wanting to cut out straight away, you might be surprised how much *all* carbohydrate affects your BG levels, including rice, pasta, bread, pastry, grains, cereals and many fruits. And as you’ve discovered some ‘free’ fodmap foods like pineapple may cause BG upheaval.

The really tricky thing is that blood glucose responses to food are highly individual, and it can be impossible to say which forms and amounts of carbohydrate, grains, fruits or starchy vegetables will ‘spike’ your BG without checking for yourself. But the good news is that it is possible to check this for yourself and tailor your own ideal FODMAP+diabetes way of eating that suits you and your BG levels.

You can use a BG meter, checking before and after meals, and noting what the differences are. That way you can identify any carbs that seem to be causing significant BG variation and try swapping, removing or reducing them (sometimes just having things at a different time of day makes a difference)

If you are interested in using a BG meter to find out how different foods affect your BG personally, you may find test-review-adjust by Alan S a helpful framework.

One of the most affordable meters members here have found is from SD, and has been recently updated to the SD Gluco Navii which has test strips at around £8 for 50
Thank you, I will look into yo this so not replied before, going through a hard time, just had my slow release tablets upped, but not working, gone back to drinking 5/6 litres a day either just 5 new potatoes at teatime ,sometimes 1 slice of gluten free bread for breakfast , been told ,eating to much strawberries, will have to see if it makes a difference, my pick at food.

You have already received a lot of info, so I won’t repeat it.
I will just encourage you to ask any questions that you have.
No questions are considered silly on here.
People will just be happy to help in any way that we can
Thank you is fords anyone know of any gluten free and diabetic biscuits or cakes, milk free not a problem, just try to cut down,

Hello @Gillian1966
I can see that it is difficult for you to follow a diet that would be good for controlling your diabetes, whilst still complying with the fodmap diet. Normally I would say avoid biscuits and cakes and any similar sugary things.

Is there someone in your medical team that is advising you about the fodmap diet, that is able to help you with this?

I don't have any knowledge about fodmap, but I have had a quick look on line, and it looks as if you can eat quite a selection of vegetables, and many meats etc, and these are the basic foods that I eat on a low carb diet to keep my blood sugars down.
It might help to have a look at Maggie Davey's letter which describes what this lady ate to control her diabetes. You will need to adapt it in some areas to avoid or substitute the things that you aren't permitted on the fodmap.

I can see that it will be a challenge for you, and as @everydayupsanddowns suggest, getting a glucose meter would be a good way to monitor what foods are not good for your blood sugar levels.

Hello @Gillian1966 welcome to our wonderful forum, quite a lot has already been advised so no more from me, welcome aboard.

Hello @Gillian1966 welcome to our wonderful forum, quite a lot has already been advised so no more from me, welcome aboard.
Thank you ,trying not to bother, drs, unless than I have to, live in countryside, so dietetic/practice nurse helping pharmacist, 4 to 5 day waiting time on prescriptions, even when they changed tablets, as my 3 monthly blood result was so high, I have had this for a lung time, went up to 104 in such a short time from nothing.speaking on tuesday, to see how I am going.

Hello again @Gillian1966
I hope you get some good help from the nurse when you speak to her tomorrow, and that they are able to help you in advising what to eat that will hep to bring your blood sugars down, without conflicting with your other eating restrictions.

Please let us know about it goes and we will always try to help if we can.

Hi, had my tablets upped and time changed, now on 3 slow release tablets a day. Want to get me on 4 a day, will talk again in 2 weeks, getting a blood test machine, picking up tomorrow, so I can see what food is putting my blood sugars up.another 3 month blood test at start of june.Thank you for your support and advice

Hi @Gillian1966
Good to hear that you are getting your medication sorted out, and very good as well that you are getting a tester. I am sure this will help a lot in working out what is best for you to eat.
If you want a bit more information about testing you might find the information on test-review-adjust helpful.
Hope it all goes well.

A slightly belated welcome to the forum @Gillian1966.

Good to hear that you were able to get some help with your meds, and also that you are getting a test kit. The article that @Toucan referred to is good for explaining a good way to use the information that you can gather from testing.

Come back with any questions that you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back