Diets fotr type 1 diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllieJ61

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi is any one on the slimming world diet and if so how are you getting on or has anyone else been successful on any other diets. Thank you looking forward to hearing from you.

The only diet I do is see food and eat it 🙂

Hi is any one on the slimming world diet and if so how are you getting on or has anyone else been successful on any other diets. Thank you looking forward to hearing from you.
I've cooked quite a few SW recipes. I find they use a lot of carbs so i just reduce the amount.

Any reasonable diet should be ok as long as you adjust your insulin. You could even devise your own or use one of the Meal Plans on Diabetes U.K. Good luck 🙂

We should be able to follow any diet with Type 1 provided you adjust your insulin accordingly.
Bear in mind, when you lose weight, you may need to reduce your basal insulin.

Good Luck.

For me since diagnosis when I've put on weight it's always been because I'd got into the habit of consuming more calories between meals, than I actually have at mealtimes! And of course - crap calories ie think I'll have a biscuit with this coffee or a bit of nice cake/cream cake/egg custard etc with my cup of tea mid afternoon, cheese and biscuits/own brand cornetto etc between evening meal and bedtime - so they're the first to need to go. If I was still able to do it - and I very much regret neither me nor my OH are physically capable now - we used to take regular afternoon walks of 3-ish miles 'round the very local residential block' after we both retired. Pretty boring route really cos rarely anything different to see and once you'd admired this front garden or that lady's OMO white net curtains, or commented about the state of the guttering here or there, wish they'd paint their window frames, ooh great they've had a new front door etc which doesn't take much time all in all it becomes a chore. Then at least we deserved a nice cup of tea when we got back!

So yes I am saying please please try and take more exercise, too!

As others have said you should be able to use any diet that you chooose to, so long as you can match your insulin to the amount of carbs in a meal.

If you are able to be active after you have eaten that can reduce the spikes that you might get after the meal, and for longer periods of exercise you may find you need to adjust the insulin for the meal. All par of the juggling act that we do each day.

Slimming World is doable with type 1 if your looking to lose weight, wife followed it few years back & it's a good healthy diet not excluding many foods.

Welcome to the forum @AllieJ61

Good luck with your weight loss efforts!

I’ve lost a bit of weight this year, that had been creeping on for a while, by just reducing my snacking and reducing my carb intake a little in my main meals.

There are some meal plans here, that might offer you some clues - just make sure whatever menu you opt for that you adjust your insulin doses accordingly and carb count it properly 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back