Dietician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightenup

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just firstly want to thank you guys for all the great info you post.

I was diagnosed in Nov, and since I have been cutting back, and have been following the low carb/complex carb regime. So a little confused when I have been told to eat more fruit ie small bananas etc more carb at lunch time ie wheaten bread etc, no fruit after 6pm and to cut out my whole meal toast in the evening. I do eat fruit with my breakfast in the morning and after dinner. I have lost 1.5 stone now. I was feeling quite smug with my diet and have ditched my mixer (so no goodies to eat). Feel more confused on reflection of my appointment this morning,

She ordered more blood tests to be done so will wait and see
what results they bring.

I was diagnosed in Nov, and since I have been cutting back, and have been following the low carb/complex carb regime. So a little confused when I have been told to eat more fruit ie small bananas etc more carb at lunch time ie wheaten bread etc, no fruit after 6pm and to cut out my whole meal toast in the evening. I do eat fruit with my breakfast in the morning and after dinner. I have lost 1.5 stone now. I was feeling quite smug with my diet and have ditched my mixer (so no goodies to eat). Feel more confused on reflection of my appointment this morning,

what results they bring.
Hopefully the blood test will be an HbA1C and it will show that what you have been doing has had a positive effect. I can't see how eating bananas which are high carb will help. She seems to be suggesting that you shift the carbs you eat to a different time of the day. I know some people are more sensitive to carbs in the morning so will have a low carb high protein breakfast like full fat yoghurt and berries or eggs. But using a home blood glucose monitor people will determine what carbs they can tolerate and modify their intake accordingly.
Well done on your weight loss, that will surely help with your glucose level.

The only way you can know for sure how you respond to things like banana is to test.
Do you have a BG monitor?

Hi guys thanks for the response, being diagnosed with type 2 gave me a right kick up the btm as my mum was diabetic and I can see the problems it can lead to. Was a bit thrown by some of the advice. Told to increase my full fat milk intake etc, but I know I also need to keep my cholesterol down. It’s like the advert confused.com

I seem to have lived through a period where scientific method and rigour and method have been abandoned - these days if it works for me, that will do because I feel I cannot trust those who will not be told that their opinion is not just wrong it is dangerous.
High carb makes me feel ill, I can see the results on my glucose tester and on the weighing scales as the numbers go up - or in the case of my cholesterol, alterations happen even though I am eating fats as nature provides.
Low carb has been working in the face of alternative opinions since at least 1850 - I am just thankful that we have access to the information and equipment available today and have the liberty to make up our own mind about what to eat.

No have not got bg monitor, was hoping to go into remission with diet and exercise Colin
I got to remission with weight loss about 6 months after diagnosis, with the weight loss coming simply from eating less.

But early on I did find it useful to test a lot to work out how my BG reacted to different foods and how that changed over time as my weight reduced, and also how my waking BG levels changed.

1648530559948.png

As well as gratiftying my nerdiness, doing this gave my a feeling of being in control of a process which otherwise seemed a bit like stumbling around in the dark.

On diet specifics: You will be bombarded with advice of very varied quality but my recommendation is to stick fairly closely to "official" advice like that provided by Diabetes UK, which is science-based rather than based eg on woo promoted by grifters & charlatans.

It may be useful to cut back more on some kinds of carbs at least while you are getting things under control, but everybody reacts differently to different carbs, and so you really need to self test to get a handle on what you are doing with this, and how your reactions change over time.

But ignore any advice which makes too much of "spikes" after eating; there's a real grift industry developing with claims that everybody should try to reduce post-eating BG levels as much as possible, and so everybody should be wary of fruit etc etc. It's nonsense: non-diabetics routinely go well above 8, sometimes as much as 10+, after eating. If your HbA1c is on track and you are keeping BG levels after eating below 9 or 10, you're doing fine. Ignore any advice which says there's anything fundamentally bad about fruit, grains etc - there isn't.

As a general point, it seems like very roughly ~70% of T2's have a shot at getting to remission by losing weight. Testing and seeing how yr BG reaction to different foods, and your waking BG levels, change as your weight reduces is a pretty good way of getting a good sense of whether your are one of the fortunate people. If you are, the carb etc restrictions can be quite temporary - anyway, that's the way it worked for me.

Hi guys thanks for the response, being diagnosed with type 2 gave me a right kick up the btm as my mum was diabetic and I can see the problems it can lead to. Was a bit thrown by some of the advice. Told to increase my full fat milk intake etc, but I know I also need to keep my cholesterol down. It’s like the advert confused.com
I've ignored the diet advice I got on my DESMOND course - they said to make a third of my plate carbs, but I know carbs put my BG up, so I couldn't see why eating more of them would be a good idea, so I stuck with low carb. The Eatwell guide plate national guidance it's based on says "Anyone with special dietary requirements or medical needs might want to check with a registered dietitian on how to adapt the Eatwell Guide to meet their individual needs." but this doesn't seem to have happened for T2 diabetics.

Sounds like you're really doing well with your weight loss and diet, so I would take the dietician's advice with a pinch of salt and stick to what's working for you.
Sarah

I'm in broad agreement with Eddy. I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables for carbs, and at the moment mainly avoid carbs from bread, pasta and rice. I occasionally eat potatoes and occasionally have oats. (I do what Dr Unwin says - turn the white green.) I don't think I could handle the stuff that those Keto evangelists post on twitter - large plates of eggs and meat fried in butter. I like a nice balance of meat, fats and fruit/veg. (Today's lunch is apple, celery, chicken mixed together in a salad with a bit of olive oil and Greek yoghurt.)

what results they bring.
Sounds reasonable advice.
I think Eddy has got it exactly right in what he has said.
I reversed my diabetes with weight loss, on a low fat diet, including what you have been told by your dietician.
A tub of butter will still last me for months!

Thank you again for the great advice everyone, think I will continue what I have been doing. I was off track last week due to a big birthday, i have to say I have been feeling a bit crap. I have to get Bloods done next week so it will be interesting to see what my hba1c is.

Hi. I usually advise people to avoid NHS dieticians as many haven't a clue. It seems the advice still applies. Carry on doing what you were already doing

Hi. I usually advise people to avoid NHS dieticians as many haven't a clue. It seems the advice still applies. Carry on doing what you were already doing
Nah, that's rubbish advice.
Mine completely nailed it.
Too many charlatans selling oddball diets out there now.
(Unless you can name the "many" that let you down personally?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back