Dietician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Had a telephone meeting with my dietician yestarday, usually discussing my diet, when and how much I'm eating etc..she suggested a few things I should be eating etc and also advised me to halve my insulin dosage to 0.5 from 1 unit per 10g , should I be taking her advice, thought only my diabetic nurse would be qualified to suggest that.....

The dietician suggests dose changes to me, if she wasn’t qualified she wouldn’t be doing it

As someone with Type 1, the value I get from a dietician is insulin dosing as there is no need for a special Type 1 diet.
What is the reason for her suggestion? Is you BG high? The way to manage this is more insulin rather than less carbs
It you are concerned about doubling your dose, could you try 1 unit for 15g and see how that goes?
I definitely do not wait for my DSN to suggest a dose change if my levels are too high or low

As someone with Type 1, the value I get from a dietician is insulin dosing as there is no need for a special Type 1 diet.
What is the reason for her suggestion? Is you BG high? The way to manage this is more insulin rather than less carbs
It you are concerned about doubling your dose, could you try 1 unit for 15g and see how that goes?
I definitely do not wait for my DSN to suggest a dose change if my levels are too high or low
Isn’t it the other way? @Charl is being asked to halve the dose, not double it?
It seems a big change to do all in one step, unless the current dose is causing low blood glucose and frequent hypos.

I mentioned to her that sometimes maybe an hour before my evening meal my readings were low, she suggested to change my dosage from 1 unit of insulin per 10 grams to a half unit, tried it today and they have been high.

I mentioned to her that sometimes maybe an hour before my evening meal my readings were low, she suggested to change my dosage from 1 unit of insulin per 10 grams to a half unit, tried it today and they have been high.
Did she leave the way open for you to contact her again if her suggestions didn’t work? It sounds like there’s a bit more tweaking to be done.
I can’t comment on the role of a dietician, I've never been offered the opportunity to see one, and it was left to me to start at 1 unit of insulin to 10 carbs, and then adjust it myself up or down depending on what results I was seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back