Dietician consultation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attila

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It took nearly two years, but finally I had a few sessions with a dietician over the past weeks. It was interesting, though I had already been doing many of those measuring and counting practices and had a general idea of the carb contents of my meals, but I think overall it was good and useful. The most immediate outcome of it is that I’m no longer on fixed insulin units, but instead I’m setting the dose to my meals. It usually comes out to be the same as the fixed unit was, but still, I feel like I have much more flexibility now 🙂

They have also signed me up for a DAFNE course starting in April. Based on what I read about it on these forums, I’m really looking forward to this.

Now why did I write all this here? I don’t really know. I guess I just wanted to share it with people how really know what I’m talking about 🙂

Last edited:
Pleased you you are now officially carb counting and dose adjusting and the dietitian appt. was helpful.
Great news that you have a DAFNE course placement. Hope you have a great group that gel together well and you learn lots from each other as well as the educators. It really will improve your knowledge and confidence dramatically.
Do let us know how you get on.

That’s a long time to wait @Attila I’m glad you’ve got it sorted now. I know Covid has messed everything up these last couple of years, but even in normal times some Type 1s aren’t taught carb-counting at diagnosis “because it’s easier” - when, in fact, the opposite is true.

Now why have I wrote all this here? I don’t really know. I guess I just wanted to share it with people how really know what I’m talking about 🙂
It's because at last you feel in control thus feeling nice and positive and that feeling is nice to share 🙂

That’s a long time to wait @Attila I’m glad you’ve got it sorted now. I know Covid has messed everything up these last couple of years, but even in normal times some Type 1s aren’t taught carb-counting at diagnosis “because it’s easier” - when, in fact, the opposite is true.
Yes, it was a long time. I think I learned a lot during that time though even without the dietician consultations as I regularly looked up the carb amount in the foods I was eating and also measured many of them. So I had a fairly good understanding of my carb intake, which probably made these consultations quicker and simpler. But before these I never dared to adjust the insulin dose on my own. But now I feel better about that and hopefully DAFNE will improve it even more.

Finally!
It's great that you now have the freedom to eat what you want.
Go on @Attila live a little and have an extra ... potato? 😎
:D

To be honest I like how my diet has changed since my diagnosis so no big changes are planned there. I'd think the biggest help this will be when I'm not eating at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back