Dietary intervention reduces stomach problems for diabetes patients

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Many diabetes patients suffer from symptoms such as nausea, vomiting and lack of appetite. A doctoral thesis from the Sahlgrenska Academy shows that a diet consisting of foods that fall apart easily, for example boiled potatoes and fish gratin, can help alleviate the condition.

About 35 per cent of all diabetes patients suffer from gastroparesis, which is a medical condition where the stomach is partly paralysed. As a result of the paralysis, food remains in the stomach for a longer time than normal.

Researchers at the Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, have now shown that dietary modifications can reduce the patients' symptoms.
In the study, which involved 56 diabetes patients with gastroparesis, the subjects who were put on a small particle diet (smaller than 2 mm in diameter) experienced significantly less severe gastrointestinal symptoms than those who ate a conventional diabetes diet, which tends to focus on large particle foods.

Small particle foods can be defined as food items that fall apart like a boiled potato when mashed with a fork. Examples include boiled, baked and mashed potatoes, fish gratin, meat loaf and thin soups.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-10-dietary-intervention-stomach-problems-diabetes.html

Surprised at the figure of 35% of people with diabetes having gastroparesis, my impression was that it is relatively rare. :confused:

I was just gonna say that!

How many people on here? - and we only have Amanda, and possibly Newbs. On the other DSF, although the membership is smaller, we have NIL as far as I'm aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back