Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cas67

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 6 months ago..I managed to lose 1 stone but have become stuck since..I really don't know what I'm doing..I am a yo yo dieter for 40 + years..so this is not good for me as I always put it back on..probably why I've ended up with type 2..I am not on medication my hba1c was 51..(after Xmas I may add)..1 have managed not to put back on as I am aware it's not good for Me..but is it more about the weight or the diet..or a combination of both..I am quite traumatised as I worry what I am doing to my body..and dieting or following one is traumatic in itself for me anyway..

I have always eaten small amounts, put on weight so easily and been told I was doing it wrong.
If only I'd eaten what I know is right for me rather than following the 'healthy' option of low fat and high carb.
Being fat adapted now, I can take my intake down to very small amounts when I want to lose weight and still not feel hungry - but I don't see much correlation between weightloss and blood glucose improvement.
Is your diet controlling your blood glucose?
That is the important thing really, but with a Hba1c of 51 you can't be going all that high and staying there for ages.

The problem is that many people look upon it as a DIET not a new way of eating for the long term so what ever you do to manage blood glucose has to be enjoyable and sustainable so you don't get into the yoyo situation.
Have a look at this link as it is a normal lo carb food approach and certainly I have found that very sustainable. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Hi @Cas67 I feel your pain! I yo-yo'd quite a bit and it was only after diagnosis and the threat of losing my sight or a foot that made me really buckle down. I thought things would never be the same again, and they aren't...but for the better. My hba1c was higher than yours (76) so I felt things needed to be done drastically. As a carb monster I dreaded giving them up or reducing them but luckily they are actually addictive and the fewer you eat the less you crave them. Having said that, cutting them out completely to start off with can cause complications with your eyes.

I just eat "normal" meals that I cook for the rest of the family but skip on the spuds, bread, rice or pasta and top up my plate with leafy greens....which I used to loathe! You could try that as it doesn't really feel like a diet and I do treat myself occasionally to a carb or three.

As my weight dropped, so did the blood sugar but, as @Drummer says, correlation between weight loss and blood sugars isn't necessarily significant. It was for me though. That's one trouble with diabetes, there is no one size fits all!

I have always eaten small amounts, put on weight so easily and been told I was doing it wrong.
If only I'd eaten what I know is right for me rather than following the 'healthy' option of low fat and high carb.
Being fat adapted now, I can take my intake down to very small amounts when I want to lose weight and still not feel hungry - but I don't see much correlation between weightloss and blood glucose improvement.
That is the important thing really, but with a Hba1c of 51 you can't be going all that high and staying there for ages.
I really don't know what my sugar is, I must admit I haven't been following any type of diet for a few weeks, been on 2 hols cancelled from 2020 hope it hasn't gone up although I am slimmer, guess that doesn't always follow

Hi. First do get hold of a glucose meter so you can track how you are doing. As another poster has said don't think of 'dieting' but adopting a new eating lifestyle for life. That means keeping the carbs down and having enough proteins and fats to keep you feeling full. It's your weight that matters as excess weight will cause insulin resistance and that's when T2 can rear it's head.

I just did a low fat diet, followed by a low calorie diet to lose weight.
As said above, that's what caused my diabetes, I reversed it and eat a normal Mediterranean style diet now, no fuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back