Diet in remission

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodders1960

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, just wondering, does it really matter if in remission, as still have to be careful with diet, other than coming off meds?

What do you mean by be careful? Keep weight off or keep carbs low?
Some people find they can revert back to a 'normal' diet without issue once they have lost weight.
Others have to keep things in order by cutting carbs as the pancreas hasn't recovered even with weight loss.
Others have to keep on the medication.
Until you try it, you won't know.

I meant keeping low on carbs, and weight down. I've read that some as soon as eat normally spike with the sugars again.

I meant keeping low on carbs, and weight down
I look on low carb eating as what humans were designed to thrive on so for me it's become what I eat.
I've no intention on re-starting to eat the stuff that made me ill in the first place.
My weight has fluctuated quite a bit although I'm still down a fair bit but remain in remission so I just carry on with what has been successful. Why would I want to do anything else?

I look on low carb eating as what humans were designed to thrive on so for me it's become what I eat.
I've no intention on re-starting to eat the stuff that made me ill in the first place.
My weight has fluctuated quite a bit although I'm still down a fair bit but remain in remission so I just carry on with what has been successful. Why would I want to do anything else?
I agree with this. The way I look at this is, if one wants a round puffy face and love handles, don't worry about what you eat, just indulge. But if one wants to keep a more square jawline and flatter midsection, try to keep the sugar and carbs low. A.) You feel better and a more healthy B.) You look better

Hi, just wondering, does it really matter if in remission, as still have to be careful with diet, other than coming off meds?
I would say yes, I see a low carb diet as a way of life and not such a difficulty.

I meant keeping low on carbs, and weight down. I've read that some as soon as eat normally spike with the sugars again.

I stick with low carb and have kept my weight down for 18 months. Whenever I have had something high in carbs, blood sugar is back to normal within 2 hours, but I still keep the carbs low - pretty much only from vegetables and fruit, although potato doesn't cause me any problems at all for some reason.

Yes is the short answer...

The long answer is too long to write here, but main thing for me was to re-learn about food and what each food group is and how that impacts my body - i'm not in the Low Carb camp, but I'm mindful of Carbs (I need Carbs for Running) etc.

I used to gouge out on Pizza, KFC, Jaffa Cakes etc. all the time - I don't now - I still eat those things, but it's more as part of my overall healthier diet...So once in a while type of thing as opposed to every other day...

I had to understand food to be able to make the choices I do now...

Hope this helps...

Yes is the short answer...

The long answer is too long to write here, but main thing for me was to re-learn about food and what each food group is and how that impacts my body - i'm not in the Low Carb camp, but I'm mindful of Carbs (I need Carbs for Running) etc.

I used to gouge out on Pizza, KFC, Jaffa Cakes etc. all the time - I don't now - I still eat those things, but it's more as part of my overall healthier diet...So once in a while type of thing as opposed to every other day...

I had to understand food to be able to make the choices I do now...

Hope this helps...

I used to go through a whole pack of jaffa cakes or a whole pack of other biscuits. And multi packs of crisps... all sorts of rubbish.

I occasionally have a treat now - today was a Chinese box of veg and chicken (30+g of carbs, and 5.6 after 90 minutes) and a few weeks back I had my first Five Guys since diagnosis - hour peak was 6.6 and back to 5 after two hours.

Something seems to be working as a whopping 60g of carbs was coped with fine the other day (A meal that came with two massive chunks of bread just had to be eaten!)

I used to go through a whole pack of jaffa cakes or a whole pack of other biscuits. And multi packs of crisps... all sorts of rubbish.

I occasionally have a treat now - today was a Chinese box of veg and chicken (30+g of carbs, and 5.6 after 90 minutes) and a few weeks back I had my first Five Guys since diagnosis - hour peak was 6.6 and back to 5 after two hours.

Something seems to be working as a whopping 60g of carbs was coped with fine the other day (A meal that came with two massive chunks of bread just had to be eaten!)
Yep, that's the thing...every now and again doesn't hurt 😉

What do you mean by be careful? Keep weight off or keep carbs low?
Some people find they can revert back to a 'normal' diet without issue once they have lost weight.
Others have to keep things in order by cutting carbs as the pancreas hasn't recovered even with weight loss.
Others have to keep on the medication.
Until you try it, you won't know.
I think this is a very clear and succinct summary of the possible trajectories. There are certainly many who in order to maintain good blood glucose have to stick to low carbs. But others, of which I seem to be one, have found that unnecessary. After pulling my A1c down to normal by a quick and systematic weight loss, I found that thereafter my results remained the same whether I kept to daily 65g carbs or double that or triple that. So I eat whatever carbs I fancy subject, very strictly - almost fanatically - to never increasing weight or waistline, enforced by careful balancing of calories and exercise alone. But none of us (T2s) knows how we shall need to live until experimenting.

Thankyou all for the replies.
I do realise this is a lifetime change of eating habits, which I haven't got a problem with. Maybe I worded it wrong. My problem is that, I have lost 2 stone in weight and last DN appointment I was down to 49mmol ( I was 99mmol).
I am quite small weighing 58kilo. I still need to get my numbers down some more, but really don't want to lose anymore weight. A friend said I will just stop losing weight, but I don't know if this is right?

Thankyou all for the replies.
I do realise this is a lifetime change of eating habits, which I haven't got a problem with. Maybe I worded it wrong. My problem is that, I have lost 2 stone in weight and last DN appointment I was down to 49mmol ( I was 99mmol).
I am quite small weighing 58kilo. I still need to get my numbers down some more, but really don't want to lose anymore weight. A friend said I will just stop losing weight, but I don't know if this is right?
If you want to halt the weight loss but still reduce your HbA1C then is there opportunity to increase your protein and healthy fats in your diet, a few nuts, eggs, avocado, mayo, cheese.

Thankyou. I really didn't have a clue how to stop it. So I'm presuming I won't just stop losing weight?

Thankyou. I really didn't have a clue how to stop it. So I'm presuming I won't just stop losing weight?

I guess that depends on what your menu currently is? In my mind I can imagine that a particular meal plan might have enough available energy to maintain your weight at a certain level, and you may begin to plateau once you reach that point?

No idea if it would actually work that way though?

I guess that depends on what your menu currently is? In my mind I can imagine that a particular meal plan might have enough available energy to maintain your weight at a certain level, and you may begin to plateau once you reach that point?

No idea if it would actually work that way though?
I think it would. As a person loses weight they will consume less energy in various ways, the most obvious being they will burn less calories with every step they take, moving their body weight around. Conversely, when a person gains weight they will burn more calories as they get heavier. All else being equal, so long as the rate of weight loss or gain is relatively small, a person's weight will plateau. If the rate of weight loss or gain is large however that plateau might be at an unhealthily low or high body weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back