DiDkA...dipstix/easy sugar in drinks testing /hygrometer ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

am64

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As you maybe know falcon originally had the idea to do a mass dipstik test to investigate the problem that DiDkA campaign is striving to expose. we love this and want to try and arrange to do this !!!
well SH did some tests with urine dipstiks and they didnt seem to work....ive asked around and local chemist thought that they wouldnt work as they react with urine....he suggested using a universal indicater to test the PH ...so ive looked up PH value of sugar and it depends on lots of things .....does anyone know anything about this??? what we need is a simple cheap way of testing the sugar of drinks???
my hubby said we could make a little hygrometer (like you use in home brew) and so this weekend we will do some tests to suss out wheteher this works or will not be senestive enough to show the sugar levels xx
but does anyone know anything or know anyone who might know about this !x
thank you

Normal test strips?🙂Bev

Thanks bev good idea problem i can think of is
they must be primed for blood testing ....
its difficult enough to get strips let alone not use them for the given task ??? ummm:confused:

we need something that is dead simple....i did ask chemist if there was a particular manufacturer of dip stiks ie bayer ??? that made the dipstiks so i could contact them .....and he said just look on internet :(.....has anyone got dipstiks that i could email there customer services or Chemists ??? to ask ??

the PH difference between regular and diet coke is too small to register on universal indicator. The dipsticks I used were from Bayer, if that's any help.

ok i think an email to bayer custmer services is due xxxx tomorrow though !

tez uses diastix, dunno if that helps?

tez uses diastix, dunno if that helps?

yep he told me ...problem is that doubt has been cast on their realiablity cos they are designed for urine testing so i think i will ask BAYER ...why not !

yep he told me ...problem is that doubt has been cast on their realiablity cos they are designed for urine testing so i think i will ask BAYER ...why not !

giove them a call, they're usually pretty helpful

if you can get through that is...

Last edited:
This makes interesting reading, suggesting that the urine strips are adequate and have been for some considerable time (the article is about a story from 1992 - plus ca change!)

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/...-free-test-it-with-tes-tape-before-you-drink/

BTW, I'm not disputing Becky's research! I've found other sources that suggest glucose urine strips, e.g. http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/FoodSci_p049.shtml

now thats good i will google those strips

Also found this about using the diastix to test sugar in fizzy drinks...

What about using the indicator strips for measuring glucoseuria in diabetics ?

http://www2.shopping.com/xPO-Diastix_Reagent_Strips_for_Urinalysis_To_Test_Urine_Glucose_100_Each ($15 for 100 test strips)

It would be necessary to dilute the drinks with water until the sugar level was within the test range of the urinalysis test strips.
From the extent of the dilution necessary for each brand of cola it could be possible to accurately measure their relative sugar levels,
and estimate the acutal quantity of sugar in each brand.

I have used Bayer Diastix for about three weeks and have had no problems. As the only diet drink I like is Diet Coke I have also dipped friends' other diet drinks and the dip sticks seem a good indicator.

P.S. Have also dipped non-diet drinks and reduced sugar ones, as a base line, with no problem. Diastix are around ?5 for 50.

If you're worried about the cost of the Diastix I can post some to anybody that wants a few. Saves a fiver and I've got plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back