Did you take time off when starting a pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigeon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm hopefully getting my pump ( a Medtronic 640G) in early October, dates to be confirmed with the rep. Would you recommened taking time off work when I start? I had 3 days off sick when first diagnosed with diabetes 10 years ago, which seemed sensible at the time as there were a lot of sleepless nights and random hypos etc. A few years later I changed to levemir and I remember having some horrible days at work with multiple hypos as I tried to get the levels right. Bit worried starting the pump will be like those times all over again and I'd be better being off work? Don't really want to take sick leave (only those 3 days off for diabetes in 10 years!) but I can afford a week of annual leave... might not go down too well bearing in mind I already have a 2 week holiday in Sept, but I'm sure I could take it. What did anyone else do?

Well done Pigeon 🙂. No I did not take time off but booked some easier jobs in. Lots to take in but worth it. It takes a couple of weeks to get it "Tuned" to you but the 640 is good. Pls keep asking & good luck. I am due to talk to NHS staff about the 640 & how my figures are so good (another post coming)

Didn't take any time off, I had a family holiday already booked a week after I started on the pump, so couldn't have taken time off the week before. To be honest, I would have preferred being at work and carrying on with my normal life, as this would have given me a better indication of how the pump was doing with regard to getting basal right etc. Best of luck

I was self employed and only working about 2 days a week. I went off on a walking holiday for a week, after five days on the pump. The DSNs weren't worried , and I did stay in touch by email. I just delayed sorting basal rates as it was not giong Otto be normal whilst staying in a hotel and walking every day in deep snow.

I then set aside some time to do basal rate tests to get that sorted first, then worked on the ratios. Lots to do at the start but well worth it.

You would be better off not taking time off work it takes a lot longer than 3 days to sort out pump settings and you also need to be in your normal routine so you can sort out your basal.

You should be started off on a lower basal so you can adjust your levels safely without to many lows.

Last edited:
Don't worry about it Pigeon. Your DSN will be on your side. Medtronic have phone, emails around the world, lots of support 🙂

One thing I found very helpful from Mike when Istarted on the pump, was to get the basal profile so that things were level even if a bit higher than I would want, and then 'interview' an increase using temporary basal rates and gradually bring my levels to where I wanted them.

You will no doubt get loads of help from the DSNs and others starting on the pump at the same time. Just keep asking questions and expect it to take a bit of time to get sorted.

As others have said, you want your basal rates to match what you normally do, and some have two profiles set up, one for work days and another for weekends. But that is in the future. Lots to learn and take it step by step, using the help available.

Nope. Went straight back in after getting fitted. Then went out for a team lunch with work and everything went horribly wrong (given as a newbie pumper the levels just weren't right yet!)

I'd say it's best to stick it out at work. It'll be hard going, sure. But at least then you can work out what levels etc you need whilst working. You can then set a seperate profile for days off once you've worked out how that affects you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back