Did I give the right advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelenM

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
As there are so many 'Mums' on this board I thought I'd ask here.
I had a phone call from our daughter last night. she was worried because our grandson (14months) has in the last couple of weeks been drinking a lot and producing large amounts of 'wee' He'd just gone through a nappy in less than an hour. I asked if he was losing weight, she doesn't think so....but as he's beginning to run about more he's getting slimmer. He's not listless, tired or complaining of tummy aches. He's a third child so she is used to babies and not normally an anxious Mum.(but perhaps she's more anxious about diabetes than most Mums would be)
I said that it was probably nothing to worry about (just one of those things) but that if any of the other symptoms turned, if his behaviour changes or if the frequent drinking/urination continues to see the doctor . I also suggested that she limits flavoured drinks and just offers water, but should I have advised her to see the doctor, 'just in case' ?

As there are so many 'Mums' on this board I thought I'd ask here.
I had a phone call from our daughter last night. she was worried because our grandson (14months) has in the last couple of weeks been drinking a lot and producing large amounts of 'wee' He'd just gone through a nappy in less than an hour. I asked if he was losing weight, she doesn't think so....but as he's beginning to run about more he's getting slimmer. He's not listless, tired or complaining of tummy aches. He's a third child so she is used to babies and not normally an anxious Mum.(but perhaps she's more anxious about diabetes than most Mums would be)
I said that it was probably nothing to worry about (just one of those things) but that if any of the other symptoms turned, if his behaviour changes or if the frequent drinking/urination continues to see the doctor . I also suggested that she limits flavoured drinks and just offers water, but should I have advised her to see the doctor, 'just in case' ?

Hi Helen ...

I think in all probability it will as you say be nothing to worry about ... But if you grandson's thirst has considerably increased over the last couple of weeks and producing large amount of wee ... I would take him to the GP's just in case ... It could be many things .. kidney infection , changes in food, even because he is running about more etc ..
Hope this helps

Heidi
xx🙂

I agree with Heidi. Hopefully it is not diabetes but i would be a good idea to have it ruled out. Then if it something else instead it can be treated. I think you can never be too careful with babies of that age. Best be on the safe side. 🙂

Please do let us know how things progress. 🙂🙂

I'm not a mother, but have worked as a nurse in various settings. I would certainly encourage anyone concerned about a child with weight loss, extra thirst and extra urine to see a health professional - a simple "dipstick" test of a wet nappy will show either protein and / or glucose - protein being an indication of infection, to be further checked by a midstream urine and glucose being an indication of diabetes and a few other metabolic issues. Probably nothing to worry about, but quick and easy to eliminate if no problem(s) exist(s). As you say, weight loss, thirst etc could have many causes eg more activity, change in weather etc. In the meantime, normal food and drink seems appropriate.

It ould just be a urine infection - can cause the same sort of symptoms - but just to be on the safe side i would take him to the gp. Hope he is ok - let us know the outcome🙂Bev

I'm not a mother , but any doubt over a childs health and I would make a GP's appointment to rule out anything .Also for peace of mind as you were obviously thinking Diabetes at first .

Thanks for your advice everyone,
I'll phone her up and have another chat... read out your posts.
I'm sure its nothing.... but I'm the one who avoided going to a doctor for far too long when I did have diabetes.

Thanks for your advice everyone,
I'll phone her up and have another chat... read out your posts.
I'm sure its nothing.... but I'm the one who avoided going to a doctor for far too long when I did have diabetes.

It probably is nothing , Im an aunt about 20 times ( we'rs catholics lol🙄) and the children are always coming down with bugs and sniffles etc , it is always best to get them checked over though 🙂 I waited about 12 months before I went to the doctors with my diabetes symptoms , and my family are predominately type 1's 😱

It is the advice I would have given too. Also keep an eye on things like coke if given as it contains caffine. Caffine has always made the children I have known more active, pee more and drink more.

I'm sure your grandson will be fine and that all that was needed was just a little reassurance, although I tell anyone worried about a child to phone the doctor and make an appointment.

Hi Helen

Can't add anymore to what the others have said but just wanted to see how things were?

Just a quicky to say how are things going? I hope your grandson is OK and he was doing nothing more serious than drinking because it was a warm day and then needing to pee more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back