Diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

helnel

Hi all, I'm a newbie here. I don't have diabetes, but it's in my family (type 2) and I've been told I have the defective gene that means I will get it at some point.

I know many type 2's can control their BG without the need for medication. I want to know if it's possible to be diabetic but not really show symptoms because it's actually 'under control' through a normal healthy diet.

What does anyone think?

Not really sure to be honest, but sounds plausible.

Maybe it's worth getting your hands on a blood glucose meter, I think you can buy them in some pharmacists.

I read recently the TV Chef Anthony WT has or had syndrome X which is a pre-cursor to diabetes, and that's why he did some cook book with healthy food for such a scenario.

A healthy or healthier diet couldn't be a bad thing to do either way!

Good luck with fending it off!!

I suppose if you are doing all the right things with diet and exercise and you are aware of the potential, it is possible not to show any symptoms. As it is in your family and you MIGHT develope it for genetic reasons, it is sensible to keep an eye on things.

What test did you have to be told that you have a defective gene? If it runs in your family are you being tested regularly for diabetes?

I suspect that yes it would be possible to delay the onset by eating a healthy diet. But people with diabetes have difficulty with carbohydrates and even in normal quantaties will raise blood sugars. This does depend on each individual tolerence though. What would show diabetes would be a glucose tolerence test, whatever your normal diet was.

Thanks guys. I really should get myself tested. These past few weeks I've had 2 possible symptoms; tiredness and nausea (is nausea a symptom?, it isn't usally listed on lists of diabetes symptoms, but I did read it somewhere).

I was advised to get oral glucose tolerance test, so I'll ask about that at my doctors.

What test did you have to be told that you have a defective gene? If it runs in your family are you being tested regularly for diabetes? .

I was helping out with research into the diabetes in our family at Peninsular Medical School in Exeter and they tested me, that was 4 years ago. I was advised to be tested annually, but so far I haven't had it done.

I suspect that yes it would be possible to delay the onset by eating a healthy diet. But people with diabetes have difficulty with carbohydrates and even in normal quantaties will raise blood sugars. This does depend on each individual tolerence though. What would show diabetes would be a glucose tolerence test, whatever your normal diet was.

I eat a low carb diet and I have naturally low blood glucose levels, my fasting level at this test was 3.5.

I see, so yeah you will get diabetes (well 97% or something like that chance). I think getting tested annually is a good idea, well worth you getting a GTT test even as just a baseline. Do you know which MODY gene you have?

In our family it's HEPATIC NUCLEAR FACTOR 4 ALPHA (HNF4A), which is quite rare, I think only 4 families in the UK have this type. Interestingly, although it's MODY, most people in my family were diagnosed later in life (that I know of).

Last edited:
Most MODY is diagnosed late in life because its not generally evident early on unless you're lucky and its caught early. Periodic GTTs help. Its sometimes described as a form of "late type 1" because its a long term degeneration of the pancreas's ability to produce insulin.

Some quick background links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maturity_onset_diabetes_of_the_young
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MODY_1

The gene you are talking about indicates MODY 1.

But its specifically not T2. T2 is generally down to insulin resistance which is a completely different kettle of fish. Since its down to a lack of insulin production and long term failure of the beta cells the treatment is usually an oral drug such as gliclazide to force extra insulin production from the pancreas, followed later by insulin treatment as the betas give out.

Taking gliclazide is not really a great strain and keeping the BG under control can make a big difference in the way you feel day to day. So whether or not you are feeling any symptoms right now, I suggest you stick to having a GTT annually so that if and when it does make itself apparent, you can start to treat it and feel better generally.

Hi Helnel
Welcome to the forums
I went to the chemist & bought Diastix to test urine before i went to doctors & got diagnosed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back