Diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebstar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As a matter of interest was anyone diagnosed on just 1 fasting blood test. I tested at 7.1 and told by the doctor that he thought I was probably diabetic and have been on the diabetes bandwagon ever since. Just wondered was anyone else diagnosed on just 1 test.

I was, but mine was 37! 😱 Actually, they do diagnose on a single fasting test above 7 if you also have symptoms like polydipsia or polyuria (drinking and peeing excessively. If you don't have symptoms they'd need to do a confirmation test. You can also be diagnosed on a random level of > 11.1 or a two hour oral glucose tolerance test over 11.1.

Did you have any symptoms? What led you to be tested?

I was but mine was about 12 though :( I had probably been hyperglycaemic for a number of years without knowing.

7.1 is pretty marginal. Were you started on any meds at that stage?

I had never really thought of it as a bandwagon more of a millstone around your neck. 🙂

I was but mine was about 12 though :( I had probably been hyperglycaemic for a number of years without knowing.

7.1 is pretty marginal. Were you started on any meds at that stage?

I had never really thought of it as a bandwagon more of a millstone around your neck. 🙂

Even more marginal given that the meters aren't that accurate. Or do they do it a different way for these 'official' tests?

Even more marginal given that the meters aren't that accurate. Or do they do it a different way for these 'official' tests?

My fasting blood test was sent off to the lab. The doctor's rang me at home a couple of days later and told me to come in to see the doctor straight away so it didn't sound like good news although I wasn't expecting to be starting on the diabetic odyssey.

Were you hospitalised with 37 then? It sounds horrendous.

My fasting blood test was sent off to the lab. The doctor's rang me at home a couple of days later and told me to come in to see the doctor straight away so it didn't sound like good news although I wasn't expecting to be starting on the diabetic odyssey.

Were you hospitalised with 37 then? It sounds horrendous.

Thanks Rob, must be much more accurate then. I had DKA, hence the 37, yes I called the ambulance myself. It was meaningless to me at the time but it would horrify me now! My first HbA1c was 11.8%.

I was, but mine was 37! 😱 Actually, they do diagnose on a single fasting test above 7 if you also have symptoms like polydipsia or polyuria (drinking and peeing excessively. If you don't have symptoms they'd need to do a confirmation test. You can also be diagnosed on a random level of > 11.1 or a two hour oral glucose tolerance test over 11.1.

Did you have any symptoms? What led you to be tested?

Yes, if the docs know what they are doing Northe. I tested at chemist 19.1, took to gp who said i had go to hospital two consecutive weeks, 2 seperate tests to confirm diabetes??😱

After 1st hospital test, dont know result, another gp phoned to say come in you are diabetic, told him didnt i need the other confirmation test, he said no way your initial chemist one was confirmation was enough. :confused:

Tracy, Mine was diagnosed on a finger prick test.
Had been felling unwell, drinking, toileting frequently.
Had tested a few times on moms meter, which were coming up high.
Got up at 7, had a small bowl of cereal. walked to docs, got seen at just before 10, and when he tested i was 25.something. Diagnosed there.
Got to hospital around 5ish, and the meter was just saying Hi. (Hadn't eaten anything either)

Yes, if the docs know what they are doing Northe. I tested at chemist 19.1, took to gp who said i had go to hospital two consecutive weeks, 2 seperate tests to confirm diabetes??😱

After 1st hospital test, dont know result, another gp phoned to say come in you are diabetic, told him didnt i need the other confirmation test, he said no way your initial chemist one was confirmation was enough. :confused:

Sounds like your GP didn't know the criteria - I might have expected one more test to confirm the chemist's, but not two! Good job the other other doctor was more clued up.

Sounds like your GP didn't know the criteria - I might have expected one more test to confirm the chemist's, but not two! Good job the other other doctor was more clued up.

Well yea, but then he did diagnose me as type 2 because of my age 🙄

I was diagnosed on one fasting test, but had also tested myself twice before with higher fasting results which I showed to the GP. My hubby had to buy a monitor to test himself and I just had a thought so tested anyway. My hba1c then came back at 7.9 which apparently was higher than it should have been. I thought originally this was my finger prick result but it was actually hba1c I have found out since. I am not sure what the finger prick test the GP did was, but I had two 8.x somethings fasting before I was diagnosed. Do you test and if so what are your fasting results in the morning - I think they need to be below 7 but someone will correct me if wrong. Its awful isn't it doubting whether you are or you aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back