Diagnosis puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi everyone, hello to you all. I'm hoping to find someone through this forum that might have similar symptoms to me in the months ahead but I also hope I may be able to contribute with comments that might help others. I have chronic reactive hypoglycemia according to my hospital consultant but am now T2 according to my GP, what a puzzle... Thanks to a libre I have discovered that my bs drops to 2-3 mm0L whilst asleep and sometimes during the day, but climbs to av 15-17 mm0L after every breakfast and sometimes other meals. It permeates every part of life now: av 2-3 hours sleep, now have osteoporosis and arrhythmia. My last hba1c was 54. On metformin, Diazoxide with every meal and beta b's. If any of the above sounds familiar please let me know, cheers

Fortunately not, but there are others on this board who do suffer & are likely to weigh in...

Anyway, Nick, welcome

I have heard of reactive hypoglycaemia. It seems to be triggered by late/impaired/missing first phase insulin response and overactive second phase.

Have you tried reducing your carbohydrate intake to attempt to reduce post-meal highs?

Thanks Mike. Yes I do follow a low Gi/ low Carb diet. The NHS dieticians at our hospital have been very helpful getting my diet optimised but sadly no obvious errors or omissions or changes these days that could help.

Hi everyone, hello to you all. I'm hoping to find someone through this forum that might have similar symptoms to me in the months ahead but I also hope I may be able to contribute with comments that might help others. I have chronic reactive hypoglycemia according to my hospital consultant but am now T2 according to my GP, what a puzzle... Thanks to a libre I have discovered that my bs drops to 2-3 mm0L whilst asleep and sometimes during the day, but climbs to av 15-17 mm0L after every breakfast and sometimes other meals. It permeates every part of life now: av 2-3 hours sleep, now have osteoporosis and arrhythmia. My last hba1c was 54. On metformin, Diazoxide with every meal and beta b's. If any of the above sounds familiar please let me know, cheers
Nick...has there been any interaction between your consultant & your GP on this...particularly since reactive hypoglycemia symptoms caused by low blood sugar after eating are uncommon...would have thought the two differing opinions would warrant some communication between the two of them...just a thought...in respect of your diet...in addition to lowering your carb intake...have you tried splitting your meals into smaller snacks...eating little and often throughout the day...including more fibre.in your meals...might be worth a try.

Thanks Bubbsie, yes agree and I get copies of letters from the consultant but not copied in on notes from the GP back. I have just been sat next to him during two consultations when he has told me what he has been writing. Your suggestion to spread out meals etc is spot on. I usually wake up very hungry c 4am and I am eating every 3-4 hrs throughout the day. That approach along with the Diazoxide has certainly reduced the number of hypos starting during the day.

Thanks Bubbsie, yes agree and I get copies of letters from the consultant but not copied in on notes from the GP back. I have just been sat next to him during two consultations when he has told me what he has been writing. Your suggestion to spread out meals etc is spot on. I usually wake up very hungry c 4am and I am eating every 3-4 hrs throughout the day. That approach along with the Diazoxide has certainly reduced the number of hypos starting during the day.
Well some good news there Nick...a little relief from the hypos...have you tried possibly increasing your exercise/activity...if you're not already doing that...frustrating how there hasn't been any 'discussion' between the two of them...since the reaction with reactive (no pun intended honest) hypoglycaemia is distinct from the usual diabetic hypo...one after eating...the other after fasting...not an expert by any means...as said no personal experience ...anecdotal only...lets hope the consultant & your GP can get their heads together...find some common ground for your benefit...hopefully you'll get more responses from other members when the form 'wakes up'...always good to hear personal testimony...the voice of experience...nothing like it...good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back