Diagnosis confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

julieashf

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Had my repeat hb1c results tonight which confirmed type 2 diabetes,I've felt so poorly this passed 10 days, got to make appointments with nurse and gp at my surgery,to start metformin
My first concern is feeling better,also am I OK to drive?
Any other things I should know for now
Thank you for reading

You should be fine to drive.
What was your hba1c? How much Metformin are you on?

I got my glucose back under control by losing weight and cutting carbs.

Last edited:
Im Not sure only got a confirmation via text at 6.30 I've got to make appointments for discussions tomorrow etc

Sorry to hear that you've had a T2 diagnosis confirmed. How much you need to do now to get your BG level down will depend on what your HbA1c is, so you need to ask what it is when you have your appointment.

There are no issues regarding driving if you've only been prescribed Metformin.

Hello Martin my first HbA1c was 48 my retest was 49 so I'm aware they are just in the diagnosed bracket.
That is only just over the threshold so some dietary changes should be all that is needed. At that level is is disappointing that the suggestion is to start metformin before giving you the opportunity to make changes and review in 3 months.
If you were in the high 50ies then may be.
Have a look at this link for some ideas for modifying your diet https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
I found adopting those principals I reduced my HbA1C from 50mmol/mol to 42 in 3 months.

You should be fine to drive.
I disagree. No one should drive when they describe themselves as feeling very poorly, regardless of the reason for feeling ill.

I had decades of feeling under the weather due to poor advice on diet despite having at least one warning high glucose test, but after eating a low carb diet for a little while I felt so much better.
There is no legal problem about driving as a type 2 diabetic.

Hello Martin my first HbA1c was 48 my retest was 49 so I'm aware they are just in the diagnosed bracket.
I agree with @Leadinglights - it does seem rather hasty that with those numbers you've been put straight onto Metformin. Others with similar numbers have agreed on a lifestyle-changes-first approach with their GP or DN, with a review after 3 months. It's your choice, of course, but it might be worthwhile having that discussion.

If you do decide to go on Metformin ..you may consider asking your doctor for an FP92A form ..to apply for a medical exemption certificate ..for ✻free✻ prescriptions.

If you do decide to go on Metformin ..you may consider asking your doctor for an FP92A form ..to apply for a medical exemption certificate ..for ✻free✻ prescriptions.
No prescriptions are free - they are paid for by taxes.
This may sound pedantic but, sadly, some people believe that because they do not have to pay when they pick them up from the pharmacist, they have no value and can be wasted.

No prescriptions are free - they are paid for by taxes.
This may sound pedantic but, sadly, some people believe that because they do not have to pay when they pick them up from the pharmacist, they have no value and can be wasted.
I started paying income tax when I was 19, and with a company pension on top of my State pension I still am, so I don't consider that I'm getting any prescriptions I need as freebies.

Last edited:

Yes I suppose that is an interesting distinction between cost and value. You do hear horror stories of people not cancelling automated repeat deliveries and building up vast stores on unused medication, which can then not be used elsewhere.

This page suggests the cost to the NHS of wasted prescriptions could be £300 million a year 😱

But it is also helpful and important for the OP to know that if you take medication for your diabetes, then all your prescription charges (for anything) will be covered by the NHS. 🙂

Hi. Make sure you car insurer is updated and the DVLA if you are taking certain meds - check their website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back