Diagnosis changed to LADA

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiffcam13

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi folks. Quick update - first clinic appointment yesterday and diagnosis now changed from type 2 to LADA as GAD antibody test ‘strongly positive’. Been referred to DNS at hospital to learn about next steps - managing insulin and carb counting etc. Not on insulin yet but advised prob better to start soon as weight still gradually dropping. BMI now 19. Been advised not to be too restrictive with diet (due to weight loss) so expect BG levels could increase and need for insulin will then become more urgent. Will work it all out eventually but would be grateful for any thoughts and advice. Hope you’re all having a fab weekend

My advice is to get the insulin asap. You’ll then be able to eat pretty normally and get the weight back on. You’ll also feel better too.

Carb counting isn’t hard so don’t worry about that.

My advice is to get the insulin asap. You’ll then be able to eat pretty normally and get the weight back on. You’ll also feel better too.

Carb counting isn’t hard so don’t worry about that.
Thanks @Inka hopefully next appointments will come through soon.

Have registered fir the course @Bruce Stephens . Also received a call from DSN today and have an appointment tomorrow. Was amazed could see me so quickly. Think I’ve been very lucky on that score. Anyway, lots to learn!

Can I be nosy and ask how long your GAD took? I'm awaiting one too and have been for over a month. :(

Just to clarify I mean from test to results.

Thank you - hope everything works out for you.

Have registered fir the course @Bruce Stephens . Also received a call from DSN today and have an appointment tomorrow. Was amazed could see me so quickly. Think I’ve been very lucky on that score. Anyway, lots to learn!
Glad to hear that you have an appointment so quickly.

Once on insulin you should be able to be a lot more flexible and eat what you want, it will just be a case of matching the insulin to the amount of carbs you choose to eat. It takes a bit of time to get your ratios sorted. I know I quite quickly felt a lot better once I was injecting.

Let us know how you get on.

Can I be nosy and ask how long your GAD took? I'm awaiting one too and have been for over a month. :(

Just to clarify I mean from test to results.

Thank you - hope everything works out for you.
Hi. Not nosy at all! Think it was about three weeks or so. Believe there are only a few labs that can do these tests, so samples sent to one of those. It can take a while. GP then sent results to hospital diabetes team, then had to wait for a clinic appointment. Have you tried calling your GP practice to see if the results are back (sorry if that’s too obvious ). Good luck hope you hear back soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back