Diagnosing and Treating Diabetes: The Difficulties of Subtype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As many as 15% of diabetics may be misdiagnosed with simple diabetes mellitus (DM) types 1 or 2. But DM presents as more than 50 unique types, and even among correctly diagnosed type 2 patients, 60 predisposing genetic variants exist.

A team of British researchers summarize alternative DM diagnoses in a review article published in the December 2014 issue of Clinical Medicine. They urge clinicians to consider pesentation nuances when patients present atypically.

Red flags include:
Some children develop type 1 DM for reasons other than auto-immune β-cell destruction. DM that develops before age 6 months is more likely to be caused by a non-immune genetic mutation.

Type 1 DM is unlikely if the patient continues to produce endogenous insulin from β-cells for more than 5 years after diagnosis.

Type 2 DM patients are rarely slim, rather they tend to be overweight or obese. Glycosuria with normal blood sugar levels is a sign of an alternative form of DM. Young patients (<35 years old) without metabolic syndrome or insulin resistance are also unlikely type 2 DM patients.

http://www.hcplive.com/articles/Diagnosing-and-Treating-Diabetes-The-Difficulties-of-Subtype

Type 1 DM is unlikely if the patient continues to produce endogenous insulin from β-cells for more than 5 years after diagnosis.

Hmm...that rather contradicts the finding that many T1s produce insulin decades after diagnosis...:confused:🙄

Well I'm certain that I don't produce any insulin because as soon as there is a problem with my pump ( which has happened occasionally) my BGs shoot up with ketones.

And if we can't believe the Joslin Institute's findings Alan - who the hell can we believe?

And if we can't believe the Joslin Institute's findings Alan - who the hell can we believe?

In the words of the Great Sage, oft quoted at this time of year by the famed minstrel Greg of the Lake, 'I believe in Father Christmas' :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back