Diagnosed yesterday

Georgiewhite

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I got a diagnosis of T2 yesterday. In shock and feeling overwhelmed and confused.

Back in June I went to give blood, but iron level was too low, so they 'suspended' me for three months. Was feeling unusually tired for me at end of August, so thought maybe I was anaemic. Saw GP who ordered full blood count. Folate and vitamin D levels were low, so he prescribed supplements which have made me feel better. Total shock then when HgA1c came back at 115 and repeat test was 112. GP said he had thought the first result was a lab error until second result came back. Diagnosis was confirmed yesterday. The practice had arranged an appointment with diabetes nurse following GP appointment, but she was unexpectedly off on compassionate leave. Rebooked for Monday, but in the meantime I feel in limbo. Started Metformin today. Not really sure what I should be doing or eating.

Due to the suspected anaemia, I had started changing my diet to unprocessed whole foods and started going out for a walk more and have bought a treadmill. Lots of confusing info out there. Nervous that anything I eat could spike my already high levels even further.

Told my Mum of the diagnosis and she then told me her grandma, mum and aunt were all diabetic.

Been feeling really down and emotional. I know I'll feel stronger after I've seen the nurse and got more of an understanding, so I can take some control and plan my food, but Monday feels a long time away at the moment.

@Georgie welcome to the forum. I used to be a blood donor but stopped when I was diagnosed with high blood pressure.
I was diagnosed in July. I had assumed that my blood test each year to review my blood pressure was tested for diabetes. Seems it was once in 2014 but then no more. I phoned the helpline here when I was diagnosed because I felt bewildered. I had stopped eating meat pastry crisps sweets but had no quick fix because didn't like fizzy drinks and didn't take sugar in drinks.
This site also sent me leaflets. I didn't find the DN appointment very helpful but I think internally I was still in shock and didn't recall all she said. I know mention was made of a course or group. I don't recall agreeing but would have. Think of questions you want to ask. Look at labels I am a fatty who often checked calories and salt but carbs is an eye opener.

What you are doing for anaemia is good for a healthy life and what you would do for type 2. Are your family members type 2 or type 1. Type 1 ultimately need insulin but type 2 usually don't.

Are you overweight? If you are it is an opportunity to lose weight slowly and surely. I have chosen to eat low carb. This is not the famous keto diet just reducing carbs. I eat lots of fish and veg. I was told my cholesterol had crept up. I do eat poultry. There is a site prepared by some GPs called Freshwell that has useful graphics and info.
I too was started on metformin with dose increasing each week. You may at the highest dose have bowel problems check the forum for advice.
There are lots of inspiring stories here including some people with readings as high as you who with changes have taken their readings into non diabetic range.
I don't know how anaemia may affect your dietary needs.
Be kind to yourself. Don't rush to change take thins steadily.
Good luck

Hello there @Georgiewhite and welcome to the forum.I think everyone's had the same feelings when they diagnosed with diabetes whether it be type one or type two...but with the right lifestyle and diet you'll be able to live a near normal life.. I also hope that your appointment with your nurse goes well.

Last edited:
Hi. I got a diagnosis of T2 yesterday. In shock and feeling overwhelmed and confused.
HI, and welcome. I understand how you're feeling at the moment - we've all been there and got that T-shirt - but through a combination of diet, being more active, losing some weight (if needed) and medication many have not only turned things around from an initial HbA1c as high as yours, and sometimes higher, but have also managed to bring their HbA1c down into normal range and come off medication. When I came back from my diagnosis with my GP I put a pack of Metformin on the table and told my wife I had to take it for the rest of my life. Only later did I learn about remission and realised that I was wrong - that didn't need to be the case. A few weeks later I'd made so much progress that I was told I could stop taking the Metformin, and 5 months after diagnosis my HbA1c was back in normal range. Others have done the same.

Hope your appointment with the nurse goes well. Let us know how you get on.

Back in June I went to give blood, but iron level was too low, so they 'suspended' me for three months. Was feeling unusually tired for me at end of August, so thought maybe I was anaemic. Saw GP who ordered full blood count. Folate and vitamin D levels were low, so he prescribed supplements which have made me feel better. Total shock then when HgA1c came back at 115 and repeat test was 112. GP said he had thought the first result was a lab error until second result came back. Diagnosis was confirmed yesterday. The practice had arranged an appointment with diabetes nurse following GP appointment, but she was unexpectedly off on compassionate leave. Rebooked for Monday, but in the meantime I feel in limbo. Started Metformin today. Not really sure what I should be doing or eating.

Due to the suspected anaemia, I had started changing my diet to unprocessed whole foods and started going out for a walk more and have bought a treadmill. Lots of confusing info out there. Nervous that anything I eat could spike my already high levels even further.

Told my Mum of the diagnosis and she then told me her grandma, mum and aunt were all diabetic.

Been feeling really down and emotional. I know I'll feel stronger after I've seen the nurse and got more of an understanding, so I can take some control and plan my food, but Monday feels a long time away at the moment.
Your starting HbA1C is pretty high but there is every chance with the medication and some dietary changes that you will be able to get it down.
Have a look at this link for some ideas which may help you modify your diet. It is a low carb approach which many find successful, It was developed by a GP surgery who found that the standard NHS advise did not work for some of their Type 2 patients. It may prompt you with some questions for your appointment.

Back