Diagnosed in August and would like to have a pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucy Honeychurch

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
When I've asked DSN about this I've been brushed off and told no way. How did you get one, assuming you didn't buy it yourself, not an option for me. Can you help me? Your thoughts will be much appreciated.

Possible reasons could be

- improved control overnight (do some readings and show what is happening)
- needing more flexibility
- emotionally not coping with the lack of control on MDI

Not sure that they fit with NICE wording

Welcome Lucy. You are heading in the right direction. They are one of the best ways to control the big "D". Its easier to get one if you are long time diagnosed but really good luck & keep trying 😎😉

I will press on with my quest for a pump. I have 2 autistic children and managing my condition and theirs is exhausting, I'm hoping (?) that a pump will make my life a little easier.

When you get the pump tuned to "you" it is easier. You sound like you have your hands full. Good luck !

It's B hard work until you get it 'tuned' to yourself though, aren't they Hobie? - they don't make anything 'simpler' - however they do assist you to keep your BG stable at better levels for longer periods and therefore help us to iron out the hills and dales of our own BG (which will still occur unless we keep a close eye on it ALL the time) and thus hopefully also assist us to avoid complications arising.

You can't just plug them in and then they do everything for us - far from it! - so don't ever think one can do that for you. They are just bits of technology and we all need patience and dedication to make them help us.

When you know your body and how it works inside out, you can often second guess it - but then it will change again caused by the weather, stress, what we did activity wise the day before yesterday or something else - a passing germ that settled on you for instance.

Diabetes always likes to keep one step ahead of all of us - and that won't change. But - if you can fool it into thinking it is winning by using little tips and tricks we all have to pick up in time - we can all learn to live with it in harmony.

Let's actually be blunt here - they are expensive for starters (about £3,000) but then also cost at least £100 a month in consumables - cannulas (have to be changed every 2 or 3 days) tubing (every 6 days) and cartridges or reservoirs (again max 6 days unless they need changing before that) so CCGs won't normally fund them for us unless we can demonstrate that MDI isn't working well for us in respect of some aspect which the NHS considers important. So, we have to demonstrate that it isn't by trying whatever is suggested (I mean sensible suggestions like altering timing of jabs or splitting them and having more than 4 or 5 a day, trying different insulins with different peaks and troughs (they all have them to greater or less degrees) if the one we use isn't suiting our lifestyle - or even in some cases changing aspects of our lifestyle. We all blench at the latter but actually some changes aren't that hard to make - take more or less (LOL) exercise. Eat more or less. Take your night-time basal insulin at a different time. Eat less/more carbs - or whatever.

They don't ask anyone to stop being eg a footballer if that's someone's job or say they have to eat nuts if they hate the things. Be far easier for you getting to grips with your diabetes if your children weren't disabled I'm sure - but they know you couldn't and wouldn't change that and they also have to appreciate what hard work that is alone and that they need to help you as far as they're able.

I mean - nursie I'm certain is correct - but there would have been far better ways of explaining that it's simply far too early days for anyone - including you! - to assess whether a pump COULD help you or not, since it depends on so many things that no-one can possibly know. Well know, they don't know, YET. That's true.

But who knows, in time? Again - nobody! But onwards and upwards is where your learning curve is pointing - so you just have to follow it!

Have you read a book called Type 1 diabetes in babies children and young adults by Ragnar Hanas? Ignore the title if none of it fits, but read the words, because it's a good source of explanation for a Type 1 of any age who needs to learn ways and tips on what to do and how to do it, whatever age we might happen to be!

Please make time for yourself Mummy - cos you know - you really are a very important person!

I will press on with my quest for a pump. I have 2 autistic children and managing my condition and theirs is exhausting, I'm hoping (?) that a pump will make my life a little easier.
Whilst there is work in setting it up at the start it is well worth it. Everything becomes more flexible, more logical, easier to adapt to unplanned activity. Keep asking and don't stop until you get one (that is from a Carol isn't it or something like it) you certainly have your hands full and they should be making things as easy as possible for you to support your children.

Yes I appreciate how expensive a pump is and the ongoing costs associated with using one. I was reading the pumping forum and many users were raving about how good they are and was very interested. Thanks for the replies, lots to think about.

Well they are good Lucy but you don't have one basal rate to adjust and fine tune - you have 24 !

However when you get them to actually match your own body's actual requirements at that exact hour of the day and the 11 before it and 12 after it - it's absolute magic!

Just takes more work and test, test, testing, trend spotting; result tracking .......

Yes I appreciate how expensive a pump is and the ongoing costs associated with using one. I was reading the pumping forum and many users were raving about how good they are and was very interested. Thanks for the replies, lots to think about.
Pumps cost to buy but are cheaper long term. Better control etc. 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back