Diagnosed as type 1 then coeliac 4 months later, any advice?

adi182

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
I was diagnosed as type 1 diabetes In January due to having high glucose/hba1c on my NHS over 40s health test by a diabetes nurse

A few months later I finally see a doctor who questioned it as I'm slim and just turned 40 and had no major symptoms of diabetes other than high glucose

One doctor suggested I get tested for coeliac and ran some more tests

Coeliac was a high positive for the blood test, the ttg score should have been below 30 but mine was way over 1000
A test for the anti gad type 1 antibodies was negative
Although at the time my c-peptide was low so they thought it was diabetes and coeliac, (I wonder if this was the diabetes or me taking too much insulin)

A month after going gluten free and I was needing very little insulin, 3 units of basil and a little walking seems to keep me 100% time in range

I've been told by a dietitian that high glucose can also come with coeliac

Doctors, diabetes nurses and me too are unsure what's going on. I'm either in a honeymoon stage (10 months after T1 diagnosis) or possibly type 2, maybe it's just coeliac

Any advice from anyone who was diagnosed with type 1 and then coeliac.

I'm just wondering what I can expect over the next 12 months

Sorry to hear what a rollercoaster you’ve been on @adi182

Coeliac and T1 are both autoimmune in origin, and it is not uncommon for multiple autoimmune conditions to group together and affect the same person.

Hope you get some clarity over the coming weeks and months.

You’ll find some earlier threads which mention coeliac here that you can browse for others’ experiences…

Back