Diabetic woman survives 4 days stranded in remote Utah desert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A Maine woman was rescued Saturday after she was stranded for four days in a remote area of the Utah desert without food in what authorities call "truly a miraculous survival," Fox 13 reports.
59-year-old Victoria Grover was only planning on taking a short day hike while on a trip to Garfield County, Utah Tuesday, but when she did not make it back to her car before dark she decided to spend the night camping in the desert.
When Grover began the hike back in the morning, she landed wrong when jumping off a four-foot ledge and broke her leg above the ankle.
“I was working my way back to the trail head and I jumped about three or four feet and there was a rock under the sand, it hit my leg and I had a broken leg,” Grover told Fox 13.
Grover, who suffers from Type 2 diabetes, was able to create a splint from her walking stick and crawled to a nearby creek for water.

http://fox13now.com/2012/04/28/woman-rescued-after-4-days-in-remote-garfield-co/

Last edited:
Well if she wasn't eating there would probably not be much of an issue with her blood sugars would there?

Might just well have said "woman stranded in desert for 4 days without food".

But food is not the issue anyway. If she had access to water she could have survived quite a bit longer than that.

Andy (not overly impressed, but I'm a natural skeptic) HB 🙂

p.s. Missed the bit about the broken leg though, so am a little impressed really!

Yes, I think the headline should have mentioned the broken leg rather than the diabetes, unless she'd been on insulin - her diabetes wasn't discussed at all! 🙄

I think you'll find it may have been a relatively stressful situation for her - just guessing ....... :D

ISTR that stress has some effect on BG ..... aaah yes ..... LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back