Diabetic with chronic infected eczema on legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annah

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, my friend has type 2 diabetes and also has eczema and she keeps getting flare ups of this on her shins which is really sore with pus filled blisteres around it and oozes for days...antibiotics are not helping much. She is quiet young and this is distressing her. She won't persist with her GP for further tests (she doesn't want to bother the GP). Any info on the links and causes, complications and treatment of these two will be appreciated so l can arm her with info for her next visit to GP.
Thank you in advance.

I think she needs to persist with her GP s it is her health and he gets paid to look after her.

having said that, I get very dry inflamed skin on my legs too. As long as my sugars are under control my legs are OK and they have been better now for a while.

The pharmacist will be able to sell something that might bring some relief until she see her dcotor, but I think that is who she needs to see to get it sorted properly.

Hi Annah, welcome to the forum🙂 What Caroline says is absolutely correct - your friend must see her doctor, as many times as is necessary, until the problem is resolved or at least brought under control. How is your friend's blood sugar control? If it is poor, this will delay the healing process, so she should seek help with getting her levels as close to 'normal' range as soon as possible. She musn't feel she is being a nuisance, her legs and her quality of life are far too important to her. I understand how she must feel extremely distressed, and possibly depressed about her situation, but seeking help and easing the symptoms will make her feel so much better.

Hope things improve for her soon, and she is more than welcome to join us here if she needs some moral support. She is lucky she has a caring friend like you seeking help on her behalf🙂

hi annah and a warm welcome i can only echo what has been said , just keep knocking on the docs door so to speak she deserves all the help and care she is entitled to, please keep us up do date on her x

Wow, something I'm an expert on. I suffered from eczema for many (more than 30) years and was hospitalised on a regular basis whenever I got what I called septic attacks as a child. Which sounds like what your young friend is having trouble with just now. Here are a few tips she might try.

1. No showers (they're too abrasive and make things worse)
2. No hot baths, try to keep them as cool as you can and don't hang about
3. Whatever cream or ointment the doctor has given her should be applied to a sterile dressing and not directly onto the skin. Again rubbing the area makes it worse and also, creams like Betnovate C are incredibly painful to use, putting it on the dressing rather than direct on the skin is less so
4. Keep the area cool, dry and covered as much as possible. Oh and if the dressings are sticking she can soak them off rather than pulling at the raw bits. If she's like me, she'll be very self-concious and want to hide under the thickest tights she can find. Don't! Nylon tights are bad as they hold the heat and irritate the skin, she might try cotton socks and leggings as an alternative
5. No hard (bar) soap, rubbing again. Use a Ph balanced liquid soap, the Simple range is quite good I find, but everyone is different
6. Drink loads and loads and loads and loads and loads of water, it helps to flush out the poisons

She also needs to get plenty of rest, put her feet up whenever possible and consider a vitamin supplement as she's obviously very run down.

PM me if I can be of any further help. I have loads of tips built up after years of practice.

Oh and antibiotics won't help much since the underlying cause of the eczema isn't an infection (that's the result not the cause), it's either stress, allergies or a compromised immune system - or a combination of these.

Last edited:
Now it has been mentioned, having the bath too hot makes my legs feel worse too, but I thought it was just me having the bath too hot, which also strips the skin of its natural moisture.

There was a theory around when I was little (back in the dark ages) that a hot bath would help draw out the infection. It might do, but it also made the itching much worse, which in turn made the eczema worse, which made the infection spread even further... Sigh.

Very salty water would draw out pus, due to osmotic pressure, but would sting like heck; to kill most bugs, water would need to be above tolerable to skin temperature; to kill all bugs, eg to treat water for drinking, it needs to be kept at a rolling boil for at least a few minutes, which isn't possible in contact with skin!
But overall, ezcema needs careful treatment of the underlying condition, as well as the flare-up infections - hope you can persuade your friend to attend her GP - ask to see one with an interest in skin conditions, if her surgery / practice has one.

For those of you with dry skin problems. A couple of handfuls of rough oatmeal tied in a clean hanky and hung under the tap will soften the water and once well soaked scan be used as a gentle scrub instead of soap which tends to dry the skin. Afterwards, apply a heavy duty moisturiser (the Boots Extracts range is really good) to damp skin.

Hi, I have a patch on one leg (around 12inches by 9). Had it for 4 or 5 years.

Been to see all sorts of people - it has been biopsied, twice. some say eczema, some say diabetes related, some say circulation issues, but no one answer seems definitive.

I haven;t worns tights for years, cos if it errupts and weeps, tights just stick to it. I wear long skirts.

Once the sores heal, I find that masses of 'Double Base' cream works woders.

So if anyone else has a good answer, please...........let me know

Cheers

Hazel

I have suffered from patches of eczema on my lower body and in particular lower part of legs for about the same length of time that I have been diabetic. However, I've never associated the two things as being related.

Mine are nowhere near as bad as those described above and I've never discussed it with my GP. Perhaps I should do so.

I have suffered from patches of eczema on my lower body and in particular lower part of legs for about the same length of time that I have been diabetic. However, I've never associated the two things as being related.

Mine are nowhere near as bad as those described above and I've never discussed it with my GP. Perhaps I should do so.

There is lots of good advice here, but if you are worried and have concerns, it is always wise to see a doctor or the practice nurse too.

Sharpwaa, thanks for the vote of confidence! I wish I had bagpipes to insure using McMeerkat, by the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back