1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Diabetic virgin

Discussion in 'Newbies say hello here!' started by Tonite, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Tonite

Tonite New Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 2
    Hi I've been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I can't take the medication to help manage it. Any help and advice welcomed. I also have other medical issues.

2. rebrascora

rebrascora Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Hi and welcome. Sorry to hear you have diabetes on top of other health issues but we are here to help in any way we can. Do you mind me asking why you can't take medication to manage it? If it is because you have a bad reaction to Metformin, there is a slow release version which is much less likely to cause digestive upset. There are people on the forum who control their Diabetes through diet and exercise without medication though and the key is to eat low carb. Do you know what your HbA1c reading is? That is the blood test result used to diagnose you as diabetic. It gives you a starting point for your diabetes journey and helps us to know where on the diabetes scale you are which indicates how radical your dietary changes may need to be.... ie below 42 is normal, 42-47 is prediabetic and 48+ is diabetic but that number can go as high as 150, maybe even higher although you would likely be extremely ill in hospital with numbers at that top end.
    Anyway, I hope you find this forum as beneficial as I have both for support and advice.

SB2015 and Greymouser like this.
  3. Drummer

Drummer Well-Known Member

Type 2
    I could not take the Metformin and Atorvastatin I was prescribed, but fortunately do not need it, I eat a low carb diet and find that I am at the top end of normal and quite steady there.

4. SueEK

SueEK Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Hello and welcome. Everyone is very friendly and helpful here so please feel free to ask any questions you may have. Have a look through the other posts and then ask away. I expect you may feel shocked or confused or upset about your diagnosis but we all know how that feels. We look forward to hearing more from you. Sue x

SB2015 and Greymouser like this.
  5. Andy HB

Andy HB Senior Member

Welcome to the forum Tonite. From the spelling of tonight, do I take it that you are from across 'the pond'? :)

6. CathyB

CathyB Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Hi and welcome :)