Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks to Twitchy for the inspiration for this one:

Welcome to the lecture! Now this may sound prophetic,
But by the time you leave this room , you?ll all be diabetic!
Don?t worry, we?re not going to tie your pancreatic duct,
But take part in some training that is often overlooked!

You?ve read all about diabetes - that?s all well and good,
But that is generalistic, so I think that you all should
Discover how much work?s involved to keep your levels steady,
So take your tamagotchis and start them when you?re ready!

I?m sure from all your reading you?ll know where you should begin?
For every gram of carb you eat, then you must type it in,
And if you?ve done some exercise, like gardening and such.
That might affect your levels, so estimate how much?

And if you get a virus, then your levels might climb high
And sometimes you?ll be really bad, but never find out why!
And maybe in the morning, as you watch the rising Sun,
You?ll be afflicted by the lovely dawn phenomenon!

Those of you on insulin, you?re all allowed to test,
If not, then we won?t let you as you might become obsessed!
I?d like to see you all back here when three months have gone by
Be warned ? if you should fail we?ll want to know the reason why!

Three months pass...
Ah Jones! Your tamagotchi isn?t looking very good!
I can?t believe you?ve tried at all, I thought you understood?
Your A1c is dreadful, so can you please explain?
Or must I just repeat myself time and time again?

What?s that? This diabetes lark is harder than you thought?
But you said when you started it was nothing of the sort!
Perhaps you?ll have more empathy when patients come to you,
And acknowledge the complexities they speak about are true!

:D

I so like this I think these need to be made and given to the people who think it is easy it would be great to add in something like DKA where when that happens you can't do anything with it till you've taken it back to somewhere to get it resent.

Anyway when they are made can I have box when they are for my boss and a few work colleges.

Marc

I so like this I think these need to be made and given to the people who think it is easy it would be great to add in something like DKA where when that happens you can't do anything with it till you've taken it back to somewhere to get it resent.

Anyway when they are made can I have box when they are for my boss and a few work colleges.

Marc

Indeed! I should point out that Twitchy's idea was that medical students should get them so they can learn about diabetes, but it would also make a seriously good learning tool for schoolchildren 🙂

I know that would be a good idea but it also might be good for managers of diabetics to have a go with one so they understand why we do what we do. MIne is generally good but did make me work back the time I needed off for DAFNE.

Just to say I did talk about the original blog on my radio show when I saw the twitter about it on wednesday.
Marc

I have to admit im liking that!! did you think of that yourself? Talented if you did! 🙂

Love it, Northerner. Actually, it'd make a brilliant teaching tool for support nurses and consultants, too. They explain it beautifully and logically - but it's the most illogical thing in the world!

And for partners, who try to 'follow the rules' which sound really simple, until you try it....

I have a couple of people at work who always think they know what they're doing with diabetes and like to advise me. So it would be good to give them one and see how they do even it was just for a week.

I have a couple of people at work who always think they know what they're doing with diabetes and like to advise me. So it would be good to give them one and see how they do even it was just for a week.

The world is full of experts! I'm going to do a bit of research tomorrow, I think this is a concept that could really work 🙂

It would be good not just for those that we want to be more educated because of their misconceptions, but also for those partners and carers who have a genuine desire to learn something about what it means to the person with diabetes that they care for.

The world is full of experts! I'm going to do a bit of research tomorrow, I think this is a concept that could really work 🙂

It would be good not just for those that we want to be more educated because of their misconceptions, but also for those partners and carers who have a genuine desire to learn something about what it means to the person with diabetes that they care for.

I will keep a watch for you Northerner on new series of Dragons Den 😉

I think it's a great idea, and can see so many spin offs what about a 'screensaver' version as well, bit like the old virtual pets Catz and Dogz they had for desktops / laptops. Virtual pets that would pop up inside computer monitor whilst you are working and demanded attention needed playing with and attending to. Which if they didnt get this attention they would deteriorate just like Tamagotchi pets :confused:

PS Im no expert at anything :D

Last edited:
I will keep a watch for you Northerner on new series of Dragons Den 😉

I think it's a great idea, and can see so many spin offs what about a 'screensaver' version as well, bit like the old virtual pets Catz and Dogz they had for desktops / laptops. Virtual pets that would pop up inside computer monitor whilst you are working and demanded attention needed playing with and attending to. Which if they didnt get this attention they would deteriorate just like Tamagotchi pets :confused:

PS Im no expert at anything :D

Haha! I used to have Dogz, it was soooo funny! 🙂 I've just got a book out of the library called 'The Bright Idea Handbook' that tells you how to make the most of (and protect) your ideas. It is Twitchy's original idea, so she gets the credit for suggesting it in the first place!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back