Diabetic stomach cramps

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharon101

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi does anyone suffer with stomach cramps?
I’m newly diagnosed and I’m still learning what diet is best for me.
I changed my sweetener recently and started using xylitol but gave me bad stomach and runs has anyone also suffered?
My sugars are mostly controlled with metformin tablets I’m testing lots and lots I still find I’m suffer with stomach aches even if bs in range.
Can anyone help diet, advice please

As you say some of the sweeteners ending in OL like erythritol and xylitol can give some people stomach issues if you use too much.
Metformin is also responsible for stomach issues in some people, it can help to take with food. You say sugars are controlled by metformin, sadly that alone will not usually be sufficient without dietary changes as well as it only helps the body use the insulin it is producing more effectively.
Reducing carbohydrates in your diet is also needed .but finding what suits you and is sustainable is important.
Have a look at the Learning zone to get a better understanding of how to manage your condition.

Thanks I’ll have a look.
I am watching my carb intake just struggling to find which are right levels for me.

Sharon I am on slow release Metformin, I changed to these, as the regular Metformin gave me stomach cramps and an upset tum at times. It's how the medication works to remove the sugars from the body.
It can be a struggle at first and a lot to take in. I hope your GP surgery can give you some support and advice.

Thanks I’ll have a look.
I am watching my carb intake just struggling to find which are right levels for me.
The only real way to find what amount of carbohydrate is suitable for you is to test the effect of foods and meals with a blood glucose monitor. Guessing isn't good enough when it comes to managing your condition.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing some tummy problems @sharon101

Those ‘sugar alcohol’ sweeteners can cause unpleasant wind and digestive upset at all but tiny levels. Xylitol is also toxic to dogs, so be careful if you or your friends have any canine companions.

I think one of the most effective strategies is to gradually wean yourself off highly sweetened foods so that the more subtle natural sweetness in foods begins to register more. It doesn’t take long for some things to taste unbearably sweet and sickly once you begin to cut back 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back