Diabetic review - can't do anything about the peripheral neuropathy as it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJLang

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I had my telephone review with my diabetic consultant and because my blood pressure, blood glucose and cholesterol are all good and I don't smoke there are no modifiable factors that I can improve to improve/reduce the worsening of the neuropathy unless it becomes painful, pins and needles etc - and then it would be medication but I'm already zogged (is that a word) out on my current dose of amitriptylene that I have for my migraines and back issues.
It appears that it can just happen because of so long with diabetes - but obviously it's not a given if you've had diabetes for a long time.
On the plus side she said that I'm doing fabulously and she understands how hard I have to work to control it with the gastroparesis.
She is also going to put me on the priority list for when they get funding for CGM's - only problem is that it will only be for Dexcom's and I can't use that because of the cocodamol - and my back is in an awful condition if I stop the cocodamol.
She will also be ordering my 50 year diabetes medal.

Is it worth a chat with your GP about medication options now you know what the consultant has said. I was a zombie on amitriptyline but do really well with a low dose of gabapentin. Are there other pain killers that will work to do the job the codeine does for your back?

Is it worth a chat with your GP about medication options now you know what the consultant has said. I was a zombie on amitriptyline but do really well with a low dose of gabapentin. Are there other pain killers that will work to do the job the codeine does for your back?
Thank you @Thebearcametoo for a great suggestion. My GP refers to the pain clinic and they tried gabepentin for my back but it didn't help at all. The only other option was the amitriptylene - which I also have for my chronic silent migraines. When I tried more than 30mg of that - as my neurologist wrote - it had a sedative effect on me and I was sleeping more than 14 hours a day. But even with the amitriptylene without the cocodamol my back is in constant pain - and even with both of these I can't walk more than a few metres without significant pain. I'm also on ibuprofen four times a day and when I've previously tried stronger NSAIDs I've felt like I'm drunk (with absolutely no alcohol involved) and tramadol levels me either in bed or in the bathroom.
I guess part of it is how my medications interact because including insulin I'm on 16 or 17 different ones (in various amounts) each day.

She is also going to put me on the priority list for when they get funding for CGM's - only problem is that it will only be for Dexcom's and I can't use that because of the cocodamol - and my back is in an awful condition if I stop the cocodamol.
She will also be ordering my 50 year diabetes medal.
Dexcom changed their sensors when the G6 came out so you can use paracetamol now without a problem.

Dexcom changed their sensors when the G6 came out so you can use paracetamol now without a problem.
Sue that is brilliant news. Thank you so much. My consultant didn't know that.

I am sorry to hear this recent update. You definitely do amazingly well but I know that doesn't help with the neuropathy. You so deserve that medal.x
Thank you Karen xx

What about Pregablin (aka Lyrica), the epilepsy drug that is also prescribed for neuropathic pain? I know someone that takes it without any rubbish side effects like drowsiness.

I agree, you very much deserve that medal! 🙂

It’s so hard when you’re juggling different aspects of your health. And pain is so exhausting on top of everything else. It’s great that dexcom doesn’t seem to be a problem now. I hope it’s helpful and the funding comes through quickly.

What about Pregablin (aka Lyrica), the epilepsy drug that is also prescribed for neuropathic pain? I know someone that takes it without any rubbish side effects like drowsiness.

I agree, you very much deserve that medal! 🙂
Thank you very much Bloden. I will discuss that with my doctors if the neuropathic pain needs managing. I need to stay on the amitriptylene for my chronic silent migraines which affect how I function neurologically.

It’s so hard when you’re juggling different aspects of your health. And pain is so exhausting on top of everything else. It’s great that dexcom doesn’t seem to be a problem now. I hope it’s helpful and the funding comes through quickly.
Thank you. My greatest fear is the peripheral neuroapthy will cause more problems with me walking short distances around the house and using my hands - I already have difficulties because of what the neurologist assumes is the silent migraines but have now got that reasonably under control thanks to combination of two medications - it still affects me a lot each week but at least I can still use my hands some of the time to type and craft. I've got to be careful that I don't overthink what could happen and just take each day at a time.

Thank you so much @happydog. I’m really sorry that you’re going through such a difficult time at the moment xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back