Diabetic retinopathy, second opinion and driving license

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfb1991

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Hi, this is my first post to the forum and hoping I can find some info.

Basically my partner has been diagnosed with retinopathy, he is to receive laser treatment to both eyes in 2 weeks time.

I have a few things I want to ask and see if anyone has experienced as I am really worried about.

He is a coach driver for a living and he also holds a Hgv license, driving is his life to put it bluntly, he loves his job, all his friends are within the transport industry without his license he would be lost.

They have told him he could possibly lose his peripheral vision with the laser treatment, just wondering how common this is, the doctor wasn't very helpful at all.

Also would it be worth us looking for a private doctor, we live in Scotland. I completely understand he needs the treatment we are not in denial in any way, I was just wondering if there is absolutely anything else we can do to try and save his peripheral vision, would a private doctor be able to look more in depth and assure they tackle the right area with a laser, I know the NHS are limited to taking 2 photos.

Any feedback would be amazing and really really appreciated as I am so concerned how this will affect his mental health if he loses his license, he has been so upset since finding out on Friday.

Welcome to the forum @cfb1991

Sorry to hear about your husband’s retinopathy, and the risk to his peripheral vision.

We have a few members here who have undergone successful laser surgery who may be able to share their experiences.

Have they given any suggestion of the extent of the possible risk to his peripheral vision? It this something they have to make you aware of as it is a theoretical possibility, or is there a more concrete expression of risk, as a percentage for example? That might help you gauge the likelihood of any problems emerging after surgery?

You might find it helpful to call the Diabetes UK helpline when it reopens on Monday (Mon-Fri, 9-6) to chat things through with the friendly advisors?

Hi @cfb1991.

Don't worry about seeing a private doctor, mainly because they are the same people you will see in the NHS. The risk to peripheral vision is far from common, so as @everydayupsanddowns says, it is a theoretical possibility. The aim of treatment is to stop the problem from causing severe damage to the eyesight. And the consultant will treat the areas that need treatment that he finds. The number of photos makes no difference, they just provide the initial diagnosis.

Is he under the consultant now?
Strange question. He may well have not seen the consultant, but the person who does the treatment certainly will be a consultant, and will have done hundreds of such treatment before. I had two cataracts operated on while in Scotland and never saw the consultant before being carted into the theatre.

Strange question. He may well have not seen the consultant, but the person who does the treatment certainly will be a consultant, and will have done hundreds of such treatment before. I had two cataracts operated on while in Scotland and never saw the consultant before being carted into the theatre.

That's a very poor system.
In England it's normal to see the bloke that is going to make holes in you.
And how do you know the consultant did you?
You saw his understudy, you never met the consultant?

Welcome to the forum @cfb1991

Sorry to hear about your husband’s retinopathy, and the risk to his peripheral vision.

We have a few members here who have undergone successful laser surgery who may be able to share their experiences.

Have they given any suggestion of the extent of the possible risk to his peripheral vision? It this something they have to make you aware of as it is a theoretical possibility, or is there a more concrete expression of risk, as a percentage for example? That might help you gauge the likelihood of any problems emerging after surgery?

You might find it helpful to call the Diabetes UK helpline when it reopens on Monday (Mon-Fri, 9-6) to chat things through with the friendly advisors?
Hi thank you for your reply, to be honest I'm not sure, the doctor he spoke to wasn't very clear, he mentioned peripheral vision but at the same time he also asked my partner what brought him to the clinic that day, to which my partner replied he had received a phone call saying they wanted to see him, none of it was very clear.

I think he needs more clarification on all of it before he goes ahead with anything.

I may phone the diabetes helpline, I hasn't actually thought of that, thanks for suggesting.

Hi @cfb1991.

Don't worry about seeing a private doctor, mainly because they are the same people you will see in the NHS. The risk to peripheral vision is far from common, so as @everydayupsanddowns says, it is a theoretical possibility. The aim of treatment is to stop the problem from causing severe damage to the eyesight. And the consultant will treat the areas that need treatment that he finds. The number of photos makes no difference, they just provide the initial diagnosis.
Thanks for your reply.

Yeah we completely understand and of course we want to stop any risks to his central vision.

The only reason we thought about a second opinion was just to see if there are other options, I know sometimes the NHS are limited in what they can do.

It's really hard to find info about peripheral vision and the doctor didnt give any statistics or anything.

It was a junior doctor he seen who didn't really have much info to give him, he gave him a leaflet to take him and when he got home it was a leaflet about injections not laser treatment.

That's a very poor system.
In England it's normal to see the bloke that is going to make holes in you.
And how do you know the consultant did you?
You saw his understudy, you never met the consultant?
No he didn't see the consultant, it was the junior doctor unfortunately.

No he didn't see the consultant, it was the junior doctor unfortunately.

You could try ringing the consultants secretary, or simply asking if you can speak to the consultant instead of the junior next time you are there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, this is my first post to the forum and hoping I can find some info.

Basically my partner has been diagnosed with retinopathy, he is to receive laser treatment to both eyes in 2 weeks time.

I have a few things I want to ask and see if anyone has experienced as I am really worried about.

He is a coach driver for a living and he also holds a Hgv license, driving is his life to put it bluntly, he loves his job, all his friends are within the transport industry without his license he would be lost.

They have told him he could possibly lose his peripheral vision with the laser treatment, just wondering how common this is, the doctor wasn't very helpful at all.

Also would it be worth us looking for a private doctor, we live in Scotland. I completely understand he needs the treatment we are not in denial in any way, I was just wondering if there is absolutely anything else we can do to try and save his peripheral vision, would a private doctor be able to look more in depth and assure they tackle the right area with a laser, I know the NHS are limited to taking 2 photos.

Any feedback would be amazing and really really appreciated as I am so concerned how this will affect his mental health if he loses his license, he has been so upset since finding out on Friday.
I have some experience here, having had 5 lots of laser treatment. These, in my case, have not affected my peripheral vision. Once the DVLA are informed they will require that a vision test should be taken. In my case a local Specsavers and it is the standard field test - peer at a light in a booth and press a button when you see lights around the edge of the screen. There is an allowable deficit score. My night vision however has deteriorated somewhat as bright oncoming lights can be a problem. NHS treatment in my local eye hospital has been outstanding and they take lots of care with many photographs and examinations. All of my treatment was carried out by a senior doctor. The treatment is not pleasant but not painful, remember the doctors are on your side but they are concerned to save sight.

Yeah I've told him to get in ro
I have some experience here, having had 5 lots of laser treatment. These, in my case, have not affected my peripheral vision. Once the DVLA are informed they will require that a vision test should be taken. In my case a local Specsavers and it is the standard field test - peer at a light in a booth and press a button when you see lights around the edge of the screen. There is an allowable deficit score. My night vision however has deteriorated somewhat as bright oncoming lights can be a problem. NHS treatment in my local eye hospital has been outstanding and they take lots of care with many photographs and examinations. All of my treatment was carried out by a senior doctor. The treatment is not pleasant but not painful, remember the doctors are on your side but they are concerned to save sight.
Thanks for your reply.

That's good to hear your peripheral vision was not affected I suppose it probably depends on how much lasering they need to do.

He is going to ask for an appointment with the consultant before the treatment just to try and get more clarification on things.

Yeah I've told him to get in ro

Thanks for your reply.

That's good to hear your peripheral vision was not affected I suppose it probably depends on how much lasering they need to do.

He is going to ask for an appointment with the consultant before the treatment just to try and get more clarification on things.
Good idea to ask, it is a scary time and I was really worried about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back