Diabetic Retinopathy/Cataracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

berryr99

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've had 4 sessions of laser treatment for diabetic retinopathy - still got 20/20 vision. However I have slowly developing cataracts. Does anyone have any experience of cataract surgery whilst also having retinopathy ? I have a feeling that surgery cannot be carried out in these circumstances

Thanks if anyone can help

Robert

I have just had my annual eye test at the optician and I do have a very slow growing cataract but they said it is not usual to operate unless it is affecting your quality of life and preventing you from doing things like driving. Generally they have to develop to a certain stage before they would operate but the growth can be slowed down by good blood glucose management and protecting your eyes from UV light.
No retinopathy to deal with though.

I've had 4 sessions of laser treatment for diabetic retinopathy - still got 20/20 vision. However I have slowly developing cataracts. Does anyone have any experience of cataract surgery whilst also having retinopathy ? I have a feeling that surgery cannot be carried out in these circumstances

Thanks if anyone can help

Robert
Slightly different, hope it might help you though.
When I had cataract surgery, I was warned that there were a few frail blood vessels in my left eye so it would more than likely cause a bleed some time in the future. It did about 3 years after surgery so the vessels were zapped.

Your best bet though is to talk to your eye team and find out exactly what is likely to happen and also do all you can to manage your diabetes so you minimise any chance of problems accruing.

PS. just seen your A1c of 63 which is about 7.9% so to help yourself you really need to be down in the 6.5% range.

Last edited:
I too have a retinopathy issue. Cataracts on both eyes were getting worse and affecting my driving. I have now had lens replacements which also cleared the cataracts. 20/20 vision but with reading glasses. No problems so far

I also have retinopathy in my left eye and had sixteen injections of Eylea which was not effective and did not improve vision in that eye, luckily my right eye is good, but also have early signs of cataracts, happy days!!

Oddly, I've known two adults with literally only one eye (both because of childhood accidents) and both always said that if/when they had any prob needing treatment with their eye, they were sent to their nearest eye hospital immediately to have it, as a priority emergency.

Recently a different friend who's needed glasses for years and already knew she had a cataract went to Specsavers who said that it now needed sorting so she was waiting to hear about an appointment. This was on a Monday she told us and didn't see her again till the following Thursday when she'd already had it done on the Tuesday, by which time she'd already had another eye test at S that morning and new specs already ordered !

I do think money may have changed hands but not positive about that however my own husband was told yesterday by optician at ordinary eye test he has early signs of cataracts so we'll find out soon what happens next after next visit there in a couple of weeks when they will have to dilate his pupils and have a better look. (on his own yesterday and drove himself there and back so couldn't have those drops)

I’ve had proliferative retinopathy for about 30 years and sight loss totally in one eye. I only have a lens in one eye, I had to have the other permanently removed from my blind eye. I needed a cataract operation about 5 years back, it developed so quickly & I was struggling to see. The operation went well but I was warned that cataract surgery could cause my retinopathy to worsen & speed up progression.

It was rock & a hard place time, I could hardly see with the cataract & decided to go ahead with surgery and hope for the best. The operation was fine but I needed yag laser a few months after as my new lens clouded over and needed a special type of laser to clear a membrane that had grown over it . I’ve had a few problems with my proliferative retinopathy since & new blood vessels appearing on the edge of my macula but it is just been reviewed regularly at present.

Your surgeon will advise you on the best timing for cataract surgery. Having retinopathy doesn’t mean you can’t have cataract surgery but there are some increased risks.

I’ve had proliferative retinopathy for about 30 years and sight loss totally in one eye. I only have a lens in one eye, I had to have the other permanently removed from my blind eye. I needed a cataract operation about 5 years back, it developed so quickly & I was struggling to see. The operation went well but I was warned that cataract surgery could cause my retinopathy to worsen & speed up progression.

It was rock & a hard place time, I could hardly see with the cataract & decided to go ahead with surgery and hope for the best. The operation was fine but I needed yag laser a few months after as my new lens clouded over and needed a special type of laser to clear a membrane that had grown over it . I’ve had a few problems with my proliferative retinopathy since & new blood vessels appearing on the edge of my macula but it is just been reviewed regularly at present.

Your surgeon will advise you on the best timing for cataract surgery. Having retinopathy doesn’t mean you can’t have cataract surgery but there are some increased risks.
Thank you for sharing and I feel a little more reassured now.

I also have retinopathy in my left eye and had sixteen injections of Eylea which was not effective and did not improve vision in that eye, luckily my right eye is good, but also have early signs of cataracts, happy days!!
I've now had some 34 injections of Eylea which were working but not so effecrtively later. Have been recommended to move to Vabysmo and had 6 injections of that and that does seem to be working. Might be worth asking about Vabysmo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back