Diabetic presciption card

Status
Not open for further replies.

gail2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
You know that card you send off for so you can show when collecting prescriptions that you dont have to pay for prescriptions. Does anyone know if if they have a run out date. I lost mine just after I got it, put it in a safe place and have not seen it since. Does anyone know the address I could send for a new one. Only reason I ask is that i went to a different chemist Saturday to get a non diabetic prescription and I was asked for proof
cheers
gail

I have had to renew mine once and I just got a form from my GP which was addressed to the local health authority, filed it out, sent it off and a couple of weeks later I had my new card.

If you speak to the receptionist at your GP surgery they may be able to help.

Hope that works.

They do run out every few years and they send you a form to fill in asking whether you still suffer from the illness! Nah - made a complete recovery. Not sure where you apply initially, will have a look at my card next time I'm upstairs.

You know that card you send off for so you can show when collecting prescriptions that you dont have to pay for prescriptions. Does anyone know if if they have a run out date. I lost mine just after I got it, put it in a safe place and have not seen it since. Does anyone know the address I could send for a new one. Only reason I ask is that i went to a different chemist Saturday to get a non diabetic prescription and I was asked for proof
cheers
gail

It's valid for 5 years - I've never been asked for mine and they should know you're exempt if you have any diabetes meds on the prescription as everyone who has, is! Your doctor should be able to give you the address for a replacement I think. I actually wrote a poem about it at the beginning of this year, 'My diabetes is due to expire':

http://diabetespoetry.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-diabetes-is-due-to-expire.html

:D

Just found this address online if it's any help

NHS Help With Health Costs
Medical Exemption
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE2 1BF

Gail, quick, get your application in before the cuts are announced on Wednesday!!! 😛 Only joking I am sure (and hope!) our free prescriptions won't be a victim of the cuts although the number of people processing applications for a new card might be. :(

Mine runs from 2008 to 2013 so every 5 years, just in case you put a plaster on it and get better 🙄

I think it was the GP surgery. I remember making a sarcastic remark to the receptionist who didn't see the funny side. 🙄

Rob

Thanks for your quick reply's am going to write off to that address and inquire. Im ok if I go to my normal pharmacy they know me and my meds well. Is was just that once on Saturday made me think
Cheers guys
xxx
gail

Thanks for your quick reply's am going to write off to that address and inquire. Im ok if I go to my normal pharmacy they know me and my meds well. Is was just that once on Saturday made me think
Cheers guys
xxx
gail

Good luck with that Gail, like northey said they only need to see on the computer screen your on diabetic meds so therefore automatically entitles you to be exempt..

But, you can be asked to show your card at any time. Once a pharmacy ticked the wrong box on the back of my prescription form, saying I was on Income Support, nor medically exempt from paying for prescribed items (the one and only time I ever used that pharmacy for repeat prescription from GP across the road), and a few months later, NHS fraud investigation department write to me demanding proof I was entitled to free prescriptions - a photocopy of my Medical Exemption Card was accepted.
So, best not to loose card, and to get a replacement as soon as you realise it's missing.

Oh I didn't know they ran out. Put mine in a safe place as soon as I got it about 10 years ago and have not looked at it since.

Got mine when my thyroid packed in and as thyroxine is on my prescription, I have never been asked to show the card.

When I got mine I had to show it at the regular pharmacy I go to. It was so that they could see I had one and to get the number in to there computer system not ask for it since.

I've never had or needed one of these.

Quite strange! If I go to a chemist that I haven't used before then they ask if I pay n I just say "no, I'm diabetic" and thats the end of it.

I should probably look into getting one though just incase.

About a year after mine ran out I was asked for one, eventually found out how to get it and sent the form of. That was about 18m ago, still not recevied it, but Boots have stopped asking, so not been too bothered about it.

Cheers all
Malc

I've got one but as I'm now over 60 I don't need to show it.😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back