Diabetic patients developing preventable life-threatening complications in hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
June 27, 2013: In just one week more than 60 hospital inpatients with diabetes developed a life-threatening but preventable complication, according to a national audit report released today.

*Regional information is available from this audit

The report says it is "shocking" that patients should develop diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) during their hospital stay and calls for a change in culture to recognise and address problems earlier. DKA is a potentially life-threatening complication, resulting from a severe shortage of insulin.

http://www.hscic.gov.uk/article/296...le-life-threatening-complications-in-hospital

Hospitals scare me when it comes to poor care of people with diabetes. The idea of someone less knowledgeable than me withholding my son's insulin and controlling when and if it should be given is alarming! 😱

Hospitals scare me when it comes to poor care of people with diabetes. The idea of someone less knowledgeable than me withholding my son's insulin and controlling when and if it should be given is alarming! 😱

I have to say, even though I was in hospital getting diagnosed because of DKA, with hindsight they weren't great with the insulin administration. There was more than one occasion during my 8 day stay when I had to remind them I hadn't had my injection before eating and my control went from low 2s to high 20s on a daily basis (although many more highs than lows). No-one checked what I was actually eating and I would eat immediately after my injection, so little wonder I was spiking so high. Most of the time I was looked after by junior doctors who I imagine knew little of Type 1 diabetes.

On the very few times I have been in hospital, I always state quite firmly that I will self medicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back