Diabetic Neuropathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moadeeb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi my name is Gary i'm 59. I became a Diabetic back in 2010. I am Type 2 and was on tablets until 2018 then i was put onto Novomix Insulin. The past 2 years i have been diagnosed with Diabetic Neuropathy it has become worse over these past 2 years so much so i've had to quit my job. I know this is not curable and have to live with it until the day i die. I'm guessing very little is known about it as it seems no one cares including my Dr.

Hi my name is Gary i'm 59. I became a Diabetic back in 2010. I am Type 2 and was on tablets until 2018 then i was put onto Novomix Insulin. The past 2 years i have been diagnosed with Diabetic Neuropathy it has become worse over these past 2 years so much so i've had to quit my job. I know this is not curable and have to live with it until the day i die. I'm guessing very little is known about it as it seems no one cares including my Dr.
Welcome to the forum
If you look in the search there are quite a few threads discussion the topic with various accounts of ways people manage their symptoms from medications to herbal remedies.
It is a very recognised consequence of diabetes but having good blood glucose management is important.

Welcome to the forums

I must thank you for your post, it brought to my attention something that didn't quite register at the Doctors appointment I had yesterday. I do not wish to hijack your thread, I only wish to follow it. So, I have started a new thread here to discuss my own personal problems.

..... I'm guessing very little is known about it as it seems no one cares including my Dr.

Unfortunately, being a newly diagnosed Type 2, I certainly know nothing about it. However, noting I was diagnosed with the same condition yesterday, I personally am going to start by reading this Wikipedia article.

As far as no one caring is concerned, i care, (as do the vast majority of the people on this forum.) I myself am only starting to realise how depressing diabetes can be, especially when there is the potential for significant, life changing complications. For me, mobility is what makes life worth living and the thought of [potentially] losing my ability to travel is already giving me nightmares. I cannot imagine what it is like for you with a more advanced case.

Like I say, I am a newly diagnosed Type 2 and it was only yesterday that my Doc diagnosed the early signs of loss of nerve function in my feet. I haven't even begun to get my head around the implications and am in no way able to give you any advice. But I can give you moral support, as will most of the people here. Why don;t you tell us a bit more about yourself, your support network (if any), how you handle your diabetes and how you have been dealing with the loss of nerve function.

With regard to your Doctor, I have no idea what to do about his apparent lack of interest. While travelling, I have come across a few Doctors that were almost certainly clinically insane, and on one memorable occasion the doctor had a cash register sitting prominently between me him. On these occasions, I generally leave to seek alternative treatment. Others on the forum will be more savvy to the current UK system than I am. The only thing I would suggest is to confer with his/her other patients and see if they feel the same way about him/her. If so, change doctors.

Hi again @Moadeeb

From what you said in the thread dealing with my own issues, you seem to have been badly let down by the system. As i said there:
With regard to your situation: I would strongly suggest that you contact both your local Socialwork department along with Citizens Advice. Also, you could try contacting your local MP and/or local Councillor, Remember, while they often like to forget it: helping constituents with unjust bureaucratic decisions is a major part of an MP's job description, as is a Councillor's wrt to local services.

Finally there are many support organisations to help ex-servicemen. You need to do a google search for your local area, but nationally, there is the Veterans Welfare Service. You should also look at this page Urgent help for veterans. It has many useful links, telephone numbers and email addresses.

Don't be embarrassed about contacting any of these organisations, For me, StreetWork are proving to be a real blessing: I have been known to their outreach teams for years, (since returning to Scotland), and, while they would pass by for a wee blether, they always respected my desire for freedom from The Man. It was only when my diabetes had become impossible for me to ignore that I reached out to them. Since then, they have been bending over backwards to help.

I don't know if you read the Wikipedia article I referenced above, but it has some interesting info:
Note: The following are permanent links to the page revision as it stood on 6th May 2022 at 7am BST

Blood glucose management

Treatment of early manifestations of sensorimotor polyneuropathy involves improving glycemic control.[16] Tight control of blood glucose can reverse the changes of diabetic neuropathy if the neuropathy and diabetes are recent in onset. This is the primary treatment of diabetic neuropathy that may change the course of the condition as the other treatments focus on reducing pain and other symptoms.

I know that, in your case, the above is discouraging, but you should definitely mention it when contacting any of the organisations or people I linked to.

Medications
Medication options for pain control include antiepileptic drugs (AEDs), serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs), and tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs).[19]

A systematic review concluded that "tricyclic antidepressants and traditional anticonvulsants are better for short term pain relief than newer generation anticonvulsants."[20] A further analysis of previous studies showed that the agents carbamazepine, venlafaxine, duloxetine, and amitriptyline were more effective than placebo, but that comparative effectiveness between each agent is unclear.[21] .....

There is much more info in that section, and it is definitely worth a read

Medical devices
Monochromatic infrared photo energy treatment (MIRE) has been shown to be an effective therapy in reducing and often eliminating pain associated with diabetic neuropathy.[citation needed] The studied wavelength of 890 nm is able to penetrate into the subcutaneous tissue where it acts upon a specialized part of the cell called the cytochrome C. The infrared light energy prompts the cytochrome C to release nitric oxide into the cells. The nitric oxide in turn promotes vasodilation which results in increased blood flow that helps nourish damaged nerve cells. Once the nutrient rich blood is able to reach the affected areas (typically the feet, lower legs and hands) it promotes the regeneration of nerve tissues and helps reduce inflammation thereby reducing and/or eliminating pain in the area.

Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) and interferential current (IFC) use a painless electric current and the physiological effects from low frequency electrical stimulation to relieve stiffness, improve mobility, relieve neuropathic pain, reduce oedema, and heal resistant foot ulcers.[26]

That sounds promising

Physical therapy
Physical therapy may help reduce dependency on pain relieving drug therapies. Certain physiotherapy techniques can help alleviate symptoms brought on from diabetic neuropathy such as deep pain in the feet and legs, tingling or burning sensation in extremities, muscle cramps, muscle weakness, sexual dysfunction, and diabetic foot.[27] ....

Again, there is much more to that section and it is definitely worth reading

In conclusion: I really feel for you, from what you are saying about your medical history, you definitely seem to have been let down by the system. I strongly urge you to contact some of the organisations I mentioned

Irvine

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about your experience with neuropathy, and the impact it has been having on your life @Moadeeb :(

There’s some basic information on neuropathy here

And having read various members experiences over the years it seems a variety of pain meds (gabapentin, pregabalin, amytriptlylene, duloxetine) either one at a time or in combination can offer some relief, as might non-pharmacological options such as a tens machine

NICE guidelines around pain relief are here

You might also find it helpful to call the Diabetes UK helpline when it opens again next week (Mon-Fri 9-6) 0345 123 2399

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back