Diabetic Neuropathy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a touch of it in earlier days in legs , feet and toes, but after 9 months or so keeping blood sugars under control and eating low carb its gone. I do believe the body has a capacity to repair itself, just takes time. Medically there are things doctors can do to relieve it but its difficult to treat, db.org has a good section on the condition and I have read that there are alternative natural products you can get that help a lot.

Ok thanks, Yes have read the DB section on it just need the motivation to lose more weight and reduce blood sugars.

Although there are medications which will give some relief to some people, it is important to keep blood glucose level well managed and if they are not then take measures to reduce it and keep it there.

Just done Blood Sugar 8.3. Thanks
Is that just a random reading or does it relate to before your meal, or 2 hours after your meal or what.
Ideally before meal readings should be 4-7mmol/l and 2 hours post meal 8-8.5mmol/l

You say Type 2 but are you on any medication or are you just dietary managed.
How long have you been diagnosed.

Welcome to the forum @Denniscbart

How long have you been living with diabetes? And has your treatment plan changed recently?

Has your neuropathic pain come on gradually over years, or has it come on quite rapidly?

I’ve not had direct experience, but from reading others experiences it seems that trying to keep BG levels as stable and in-range as you can sometimes helps to reduce painful symptoms.

There are also a variety of background and breakthrough pain relief which your Dr might recommend.

Neuropathy Come on gradually but getting nuisance now, didn't realise how bad it was and unrepairable. / Tried some tabs Gabapentin from Doc but they give ne wierd dreams/halicinations? I'm coping but have to control diet and lose more weight. Used to run a lot few years ago, still cycle, joined gym again to build muscles and help lose a few lb's hopefully? Thanks

Neuropathy Come on gradually but getting nuisance now, didn't realise how bad it was and unrepairable. / Tried some tabs Gabapentin from Doc but they give ne wierd dreams/halicinations? I'm coping but have to control diet and lose more weight. Used to run a lot few years ago, still cycle, joined gym again to build muscles and help lose a few lb's hopefully? Thanks
Have a look at this link as it may help you with modifying your diet to give you better blood glucose management.

Have a look at the Dr. Bernstine (sp?) vids on ebay, nerve damage can absolutely be repaired but it takes a lot of time and effort.

Welcome to the forum @Denniscbart

How long have you been living with diabetes? And has your treatment plan changed recently?

Has your neuropathic pain come on gradually over years, or has it come on quite rapidly?

I’ve not had direct experience, but from reading others experiences it seems that trying to keep BG levels as stable and in-range as you can sometimes helps to reduce painful symptoms.

There are also a variety of background and breakthrough pain relief which your Dr might recommend.
Thanks, Fingers are a bit painful lately, main problem is effevting my balance on feet, quite unstable later in day?

Sounds worrying @Denniscbart :(

Is that because of reduced sensation do you think?

Would be worth mentioning your balance issues at your next review.

Hi Thanks for your help, and trust you having a good Christmas. Will get back to you in few days re neuropathy, if I may. Thanks

I am a new member and wish to find out how to reduce Neuropathy if possible?
I was told in October I have significant neuropathy in hands and feet and diabetic control Is only way to reduce further symptoms including my falls, already walk with crutches so need to try and prevent ending up in a wheelchair now. Hope you can get some relief soon.

I was told I had a neuropathy that travelled up to my knees many years ago - cause medication I was taking. Once changed medication it took a few years for neuropathy to reduce and still have it in my feet and ankles - they look purple as if no circulation getting there. Am being investigated for reactive hypoglycemia - low blood glucose levels and have changed diet to keep blood sugar levels more stable which I think is supposed to help a neuropathy. Also take medication for high blood pressure. I will go and see g.p. to ask about circulation As well as having pins and needles, hands and feet cold.
Is your g.p. giving you any advice re how to manage neuropathy Denniscbart? I find walking gives temporarly relief
I asked g.p. to do further tests on my legs a few years after neuropathy first diagnosed and I was referred.
I am going to ask about things like compression socks, vitamins , circulation checked this time - general neuropathy check again. Ask what things help.
Hope anyone with a neuropathy can reduce it/manage it in some way

Not been on since January?? Walking and keeping blood sugars low are the 9.3 today!! Not good brekfast about 8.30. The main worry is the numbness in my lower legs and balance problem? Just very frustrating. Recently prescribed compression socks to the knees, so see how they help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back