Diabetic Neuropathy- Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLAspin1996

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello all,

I’m hoping for any help or assurance.

I have been chasing my diabetic team/gp for 3 years and I’m failing to get any help or appointments. A year ago I even asked for a referral to a diabetic team that is next door to my work but this still hasn’t been done. I have a omnipod dash that’s been sat in my bedroom 18 months and I’ve not had any help to set it up. I am 26 years old and had diabetes for 9 years and I struggle with dawn phenomenon.

Yesterday I finally managed to get through to a nurse who believes I may have diabetic neuropathy, due to my high sugars and leg pains. They are going to ask the doctor for some pain killers.

Is there anything else I can do?, is there anyway to get an official diagnosis?, is any exercise good?. Does anyone have any advice?, is there any vitamins I can take?, please can I have any assurance as a massive over thinker I’m now worried I’m going to start losing limbs.

Thank you.

Corey.

I have been chasing my diabetic team/gp for 3 years and I’m failing to get any help or appointments. A year ago I even asked for a referral to a diabetic team that is next door to my work but this still hasn’t been done. I have a omnipod dash that’s been sat in my bedroom 18 months and I’ve not had any help to set it up.
Why can't you set it up yourself? read the manual and away you go 🙂

Hello all,

I have been chasing my diabetic team/gp for 3 years and I’m failing to get any help or appointments. A year ago I even asked for a referral to a diabetic team that is next door to my work but this still hasn’t been done. I have a omnipod dash that’s been sat in my bedroom 18 months and I’ve not had any help to set it up. I am 26 years old and had diabetes for 9 years and I struggle with dawn phenomenon.

Yesterday I finally managed to get through to a nurse who believes I may have diabetic neuropathy, due to my high sugars and leg pains. They are going to ask the doctor for some pain killers.

Is there anything else I can do?, is there anyway to get an official diagnosis?, is any exercise good?. Does anyone have any advice?, is there any vitamins I can take?, please can I have any assurance as a massive over thinker I’m now worried I’m going to start losing limbs.

Thank you.

Corey.
Hi , you sound very stressed and anxious and I can understand that

I have had the same symptoms as you and today I have been given additional medication by a nurse in my doctors surgery who was very kind

Are you able to see a nurse who can prescribe ?

Hello all,

Thank you.

Corey.

Hi @CLAspin1996 It’s dreadful that you’ve received no support - do you know why this is? Eg have you moved house, etc? Is it your GP not organising things? You are under a consultant, right? Haven’t you even been having phone appointments? How did you get your Omnipod pump? Did you not have a pump training session?

To help neuropathy, keep your sugars in range as much as possible, particularly by limiting post-meal spikes. What’s your control like at the moment? Are there particular times you go high? What insulins do you take?

Lots of questions there, but the more information you can give, the more tailored support you’ll get.

Thank you all for your kind messages.

Unfortunately I can’t set up myself as I’m not sure on the bolus I need to use.

@Inka

I got sent the pumps when I last spoken to my team which is 18 months ago.

My GP is useless I’m currently in the process of changing. I once went for help for dyslexia and they referred me to have an mri scan on my brain lol?.

Other than yesterday I’ve had 0 appointments in 18 months via GP or hospital / clinic.

My blood sugar control is usually okay other during the day it’s just my dawn phenomenon in the nights which is messing me up.

My GP is useless I’m currently in the process of changing. I once went for help for dyslexia and they referred me to have an mri scan on my brain lol?.
Sounds helpful (not) :(
Do you have problems with reading due to your dyslexia? I ask because I am wondering if you can manage with the book called pumping insulin by John Walsh. I used that when I set my own pump up oh and had a ton of hypo treatment at the ready 🙂

Unfortunately I can’t set up myself as I’m not sure on the bolus I need to use.

The pump needs a basal rate set, and then your bolus ratios will be just as you’re using now, eg if you have a 1:10g ratio for lunch you’d put that into the pump, etc, etc. Is this the first pump you’ve had?

The pump will be great for your Dawn Phenomenon once it’s set up correctly. I get a flatline blood sugar overnight with my pump because it gives me less basal early in the night and more in the early morning to stop the Dawn Phenomenon.

If your present team is useless, can you get a referal elsewhere? Its worth a try. I just did that myself and whilst new team isn't perfect i've been put on wait list for a Dafne course which prev team didn't do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back