Diabetic neuropathy diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grace1961

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I have been experiencing such a painful, burning, throbbing foot pad, just under my big toe, that built up over a few weeks from tingling pins and needles that I rang my Doctor.
I texted a photograph of it as requested and was telephoned back by a Doctor.
She diagnosed diabetic neuropathy in my foot and prescribed Amitryptaline as it was keeping me awake.at night.
I was surprised as my last hba1c came back as 51. Just above pre diabetes. I read that metformin can also cause a vit b deficiency and also this neuropathy. Has anyone any thoughts or similar experiences? Feeling confused and thought I was doing we.

If I'm honest, I would be getting a second opinion. Diagnosing diabetic neuropathy on the strength of a phone call and a picture isn't good enough. When did you have your last diabetes review with foot check? That will tell you how well your pulses are doing and if there's a possibility of neuropathy. Can you book to see your nurse instead?

I’d be getting a second opinion too @Grace1961 There are other foot problems that could be a cause, eg Morton’s Neuroma. If I were you, I’d want a proper physical examination of the foot before getting a diagnosis.

If I'm honest, I would be getting a second opinion. Diagnosing diabetic neuropathy on the strength of a phone call and a picture isn't good enough. When did you have your last diabetes review with foot check? That will tell you how well your pulses are doing and if there's a possibility of neuropathy. Can you book to see your nurse instead?
Deb
Thank you for your reply.
My bloods were taken a month ago and the nurse checked my feet, I also had a Podiatrist visit who checked my blood flow to both feet, she said the blood was whooshing through and it was a 3/3 result. I have my annual review with the Diabetic nurse on the telephone on Friday! Honestly, no face to face appointments.
Thank you for your comments. The Doctor mentioned a Vitamin D deficiency possibility but they won't be doing bloods until I have been taking 4 weeks of nerve pain medication. I will telephone and try accessing a face to face appointment. It's shocking they can give that information on a phone as if it was nothing.
Thank you all.

Inca thank you too. very kind and reassuring to know my gut instincts are it can't be. I am so careful, medium carbs, I go without pasta and rice most of the time, it does worry me my weight loss is not great. I put that down to metabolism and age, Sumner is coming so the bike will come out.
Meantime, Defo another conversation to be had.

This isn't really any help, but it's ironic that if we are worried about diabetes affecting our eyes we can just book in for an optician's appointment ourselves, but not when it's for our feet.

Surely it's never a good idea just to 'treat pain' rather than suss out what is actually causing it for sure?

Not saying one shouldn't resort to pain killers just for getting through the day (and nights!), but to say you have to be on the painkillers for weeks before they examine you further doesn't make sense does it??

This isn't really any help, but it's ironic that if we are worried about diabetes affecting our eyes we can just book in for an optician's appointment ourselves, but not when it's for our feet.

Surely it's never a good idea just to 'treat pain' rather than suss out what is actually causing it for sure?

Not saying one shouldn't resort to pain killers just for getting through the day (and nights!), but to say you have to be on the painkillers for weeks before they examine you further doesn't make sense does it??
Cellists I know, you are absolutely right. I am concerned at having to take 4 weeks of Amitryptaline - they only cover nighttime pain, so I can sleep. But what about the daytime, honestly I am so grateful for your comments and I am going to ring the Doctors and ask for a face to face - I will get to the bottom of this. Thank you.

Cellists I know, you are absolutely right. I am concerned at having to take 4 weeks of Amitryptaline - they only cover nighttime pain, so I can sleep. But what about the daytime, honestly I am so grateful for your comments and I am going to ring the Doctors and ask for a face to face - I will get to the bottom of this. Thank you.
I had a bad experience with that medication, I was getting bad led pain before I was diagnosed as diabetic and took the first tablet in the morning and went to work, after about 2 hours I felt awful, nauseas, dizzy and nearly passed out. I had to go home and slept for 4 hours.
The next day I took it at night and slept all night and most of the next day so I'm afraid I didn't take anymore. I was then prescribed Naproxen which I have been taking ever since. That seemed to work OK.

I had a bad experience with that medication, I was getting bad led pain before I was diagnosed as diabetic and took the first tablet in the morning and went to work, after about 2 hours I felt awful, nauseas, dizzy and nearly passed out. I had to go home and slept for 4 hours.
The next day I took it at night and slept all night and most of the next day so I'm afraid I didn't take anymore. I was then prescribed Naproxen which I have been taking ever since. That seemed to work OK.
I have to take one at nighttime tbh I sleep really Welland after having so much pain and being awake because of it, last night was such a relief. However today, I lost my balance twice- that's not normal for me. As well as that, had to take Ibuprofen for the pain. Thank you for your info.

Since my type2 diagnosis in Nov 21 I developed neuropathy in my feet 7 months later.Now have vitb12 deficiency vitd insufficiency. Latest eye test ( my first was ok) background retinopathy. My hba1c went from 131 to 43 in six months so hoping the neuropathy is treatment induced and will go away. Would definitely ask for vitamins to be checked.

Since my type2 diagnosis in Nov 21 I developed neuropathy in my feet 7 months later.Now have vitb12 deficiency vitd insufficiency. Latest eye test ( my first was ok) background retinopathy. My hba1c went from 131 to 43 in six months so hoping the neuropathy is treatment induced and will go away. Would definitely ask for vitamins to be checked.
Hi Sandy
Well done for getting your diabetes under control.
Thanks for your comments, yes I have since had a blood test for vit b12 deficiency, no news yet.

I am concerned at having to take 4 weeks of Amitryptaline - they only cover nighttime pain, so I can sleep.
Amitryptaline helps daytime pain too, I find they take a few weeks to build up enough to have an effect on pain but that they help sleep from the day I start the new dose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back