Diabetic leaves a trail of destruction on trip to chemist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A LEARNER driver crashed into a car and then, as the owner of the other car tried to get her attention to swap insurance details, reversed into it a second time.

Bristol Crown Court heard that after the accident Kaneez Butt-Zeeshan then slammed into a parked car, ploughed into a moving van and then finally destroyed a bollard.

The 25-year-old was driving so badly after popping to the chemist alone that schoolchildren gathered to watch.

The diabetic had decided to illegally drive alone to the chemist to pick up medication because she had low blood sugar.

The non-English speaker was arrested and gave police a prepared statement in which she conceded she drove off in panic as her first victim got out of his car.

Butt-Zeeshan admitted making a series of wrong judgements and was truly sorry.

The mother-of-two, aged 25, of Lynton Road, Bedminster, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and driving without a licence or insurance.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Diab...trip-chemist/story-16927598-detail/story.html

I don't even know where to start with this! 😱 Although, why did she decide 'to illegally drive alone to the chemist to pick up medication because she had low blood sugar' :confused: High, yes - low, no, surely?

Last edited:
In her prepared statement to police, the learner driver conceded her catalogue of errors and wrote: "I will not drive alone until I have the correct documents."

Just wait until the DVLA get hold of her as well. 😱 Plus all the penalties impossed by the court, the DVLA wont make it to easy for her to drive again. She doesn't seem to have any understanding either regarding driving and low blood sugars and I'm surprised the police didn't charge her for driving whilst under the influence of drugs.

Just wait until the DVLA get hold of her as well. 😱 Plus all the penalties impossed by the court, the DVLA wont make it to easy for her to drive again. She doesn't seem to have any understanding either regarding driving and low blood sugars and I'm surprised the police didn't charge her for driving whilst under the influence of drugs.

I wonder if she really was low or if it's a journalistic mistake? Can't see why you'd make a trip out to the chemist's for a hypo unless she was deranged by it :confused:

She might be driving on an international licence, not a DVLA one - making an assumption here from the comment "non-English speaker". Anyway, hope the combination of curfew, DVLA etc do prevent her from doing anything like this again.

And also hope that the actions of one very stupid person with diabetes doesn't make people think everyone who has diabetes and drives is as irresponsible as that!

It also says no-insurance and no licence.

This is bedminster!

Fortunately, it looks like most of the people reading the website also aren't blaming diabetes for this either.

It does beg such a question though - how on earth do you get a UK provisional driving licence without being able to speak English?

It would be useful to know the full details. Was her BG actually low - it was maybe a comment the solicitor should not have made - or does she need to go on an anger management course. And if she actually drove to the chemist because she was hypo she should not be let out on her own again!

She shouldn't have driven without a full licence holder in the car, anyway, hypo or not! I doubt she tested her BG before getting behind driving wheel, anyway!

Fortunately, it looks like most of the people reading the website also aren't blaming diabetes for this either.

It does beg such a question though - how on earth do you get a UK provisional driving licence without being able to speak English?

I believe dumb people are allowed to drive. Did you mean unable to understand English? I believe you only need to be able to read a number plate to get a provisional licence. So just get someone to fill in the form, sign it and away you go. Of course you may not understand the requirements and rules for diabetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back