Diabetic given 10 times usual insulin dose level by Northamptonshire nurse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A DIABETIC was accidentally given 10 times their normal dose of insulin by a nurse working for Northamptonshire?s mental health trust.

Little about the incident can be made public because the NHS has to preserve patient confidentiality.

However bosses at Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust revealed in its latest board papers that it has now increased its risk rating after the mistake earlier this year.

Susan Clennett, head of risk and patient safety, in a report to directors, said: ?This current risk rating has been reviewed in light of a recent serious incident where there was maladministration of insulin to a patient (10 times the correct dosage).?

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/n...ose_level_by_northamptonshire_nurse_1_3351311

How could the patient be unharmed:confused: was the mistake spotted straight away and corrective action taken?

What's really scary is the widespread lack of physical healthcare provision in mental health settings.

Back in 1982 I was overdosed by 4 x the amount I should have been given oh and to add insult to injury I was also given the wrong insulin. (Alergic reaction to most insulins)
When the mistake was pointed out to the ward Dr, he turned round and said what are you complaining about, your lucky to still be alive? This was after the *olicking I received from the ward sister for daring to go hypo.

I had gone in for an emergency apendix removal. So whilst there they decided to change anyone in hospital over to the new U100 strength insulin's.
The nurse that did the rounds didn't query what she had in her hands.
She thought she had U10 and it didn't register that there was a sticker over the other 0 and as I had been using U40 up until then it caused a few problems. Even though she was repeatedly told not to inject it as it was wrong. 😱

Lesson learnt... self medicate if ever going into hospital.

Back in 1982 I was overdosed by 4 x the amount I should have been given oh and to add insult to injury I was also given the wrong insulin. (Alergic reaction to most insulins)
When the mistake was pointed out to the ward Dr, he turned round and said what are you complaining about, your lucky to still be alive? This was after the *olicking I received from the ward sister for daring to go hypo.

I had gone in for an emergency apendix removal. So whilst there they decided to change anyone in hospital over to the new U100 strength insulin's.
The nurse that did the rounds didn't query what she had in her hands.
She thought she had U10 and it didn't register that there was a sticker over the other 0 and as I had been using U40 up until then it caused a few problems. Even though she was repeatedly told not to inject it as it was wrong. 😱

Lesson learnt... self medicate if ever going into hospital.

That whole story is appalling Sue :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back