'Diabetic flies' can speed up disease-fighting research

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
In a finding that has the potential to significantly speed up diabetes research, scientists at the University of Maryland have discovered that fruit flies respond to insulin at the cellular level much like humans do, making these common, easily bred insects good subjects for laboratory experiments in new treatments for diabetes.

The common fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster looks like a sesame seed with wings, produces offspring by the thousands, and lives for around a month. These creatures don't resemble humans in any obvious way, but they share more than sixty percent of our genetic code. And scientists like UMD's Leslie Pick and Georgeta Crivat are finding that those similarities control basic biological processes that work alike in both species.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-11-diabetic-flies-disease-fighting.html

Thanks for this one.
I started a courser genetics course this week and one of the lectures was about the use of genetically modified flies so this was some interesting additional info.
Did you know that drunken flies or sleep deprived ones behave very much as humans . When they are modified to have a particular mutant gene thought to cause aggression in some males then they become aggressive, they box and fence using their legs to push and punch each other.

Thanks for this one.
I started a courser genetics course this week and one of the lectures was about the use of genetically modified flies so this was some interesting additional info.
Did you know that drunken flies or sleep deprived ones behave very much as humans . When they are modified to have a particular mutant gene thought to cause aggression in some males then they become aggressive, they box and fence using their legs to push and punch each other.

That must be part of the 60% genetic material we share! 😱 :D

That must be part of the 60% genetic material we share!
Speak for yourself :D
I've just realised that the researchers come from the University that is running the course I'm doing so I might learn more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back