Diabetic eye screening

Felinia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have just received a letter from the Devon Diabetic Eye Screening Programme, telling me that my next test will be in 2 years time, not yearly as before. The reason given was that there were no signs of diabetic retinopathy or macular degeneration. I don't know if this is NHS policy now, as I have been tested yearly since 2019, always negative. Or is this a Devon thing?

Same up here in Cumbria. I was told at my last screening in January that if no signs of retinopathy it will be every two years. I’ve never had any problems in 14 years and my optician always takes a photo every year so I’m quite happy with that.

I have just received a letter from the Devon Diabetic Eye Screening Programme, telling me that my next test will be in 2 years time, not yearly as before. The reason given was that there were no signs of diabetic retinopathy or macular degeneration. I don't know if this is NHS policy now, as I have been tested yearly since 2019, always negative. Or is this a Devon thing?
I received a similar letter as I am deemed low risk. I think it is ridiculous, I have a while to go but will go and get screening done at the Optician, rather than wait for any unhappy surprises two years down the road. I had a chat with the Optician who is also willing to use the pupil dilating drops if I prefer.

Yes, I believe it is new NICE guidance, so a national protocol across England

Yes, I believe it is new NICE guidance, so a national protocol across England
That's what I was told when I contacted the Screening Service, also there is such a backlog of screenings to be undertaken

I personally think this is wrong. The consultant who did my cataracts felt that one year was the absolute maximum as periods of illness or stress (e.g. pregnancy, heart disease, serious accident, etc.) can cause fairly rapid onset. I would urge anyone on two years to get an interim check at a qualified optician (preferably with photographs) mid-way and urgently if you notice a deterioration in vision. Vascular care in the UK is appalling. Ophthalmic care has improved but this is a backward step!

Wow I didn’t know about this and it’s shocking! Should be every year.

Wow I didn’t know about this and it’s shocking! Should be every year.
They have years of data for the whole population of us. I presume they can see that (for people who've had no signs of retinopathy, likely for a few years (I don't know exactly the criteria they use)) there wouldn't have been much (if any) risk in checking every couple of years rather than every year.

Same up here in Cumbria. I was told at my last screening in January that if no signs of retinopathy it will be every two years. I’ve never had any problems in 14 years and my optician always takes a photo every year so I’m quite happy with that.
I'm tested yearly for glaucoma where I get the full workout at hospital so I'm also happy. On a totally different matter, my mother's family came from Lanercost in Cumbria - lovely part of the world.

After I posted this I spoke to my cousin, whose son is an optometrist in private practice. He said he had lost the testing business and was still trying to get back the money owed. He felt it was a cost thing, hence why I ended up at ASDA having a few pictures and in and out in 10 minutes including waiting time for the drops to activate, instead of the more thorough checks I used to have.

On the same theory, why do they do other diabetic tests annually...they haven't reduced them to every two years if deemed low risk. YET. Sigh

I'm tested yearly for glaucoma where I get the full workout at hospital so I'm also happy. On a totally different matter, my mother's family came from Lanercost in Cumbria - lovely part of the world.
Lanercost is beautiful. My eldest and her family live in that area. My grandson is a butcher in Brampton, which is just a stone’s throw away and the nearest town to Lanercost, and he attended the secondary school there as will his sister come September. Small world.

Same here in Kent, I have just been switched to every 2 years for screening. I was advised to have my eye sight test at the opticians in between as they can photo the back of the eyes as part of your eye test and can refer you if any concerns so they are still being checked yearly.

Lanercost is beautiful. My eldest and her family live in that area. My grandson is a butcher in Brampton, which is just a stone’s throw away and the nearest town to Lanercost, and he attended the secondary school there as will his sister come September. Small world.
Paternal side was Forrester from Lees Hill Farm, and maternal was Matthews from The Swaites. I have pictures of both, plus Lanercost Priory and graveyard. Two of the Forrester children became butchers and had a chain of shops, from Lancashire, Northumberland, Birmingham and Southampton. Two boys to farm, and two to sell.

My daughter and her husband farm just five miles from Lees Hill! It really is a very small world.

Paternal side was Forrester from Lees Hill Farm, and maternal was Matthews from The Swaites. I have pictures of both, plus Lanercost Priory and graveyard. Two of the Forrester children became butchers and had a chain of shops, from Lancashire, Northumberland, Birmingham and Southampton. Two boys to farm, and two to sell.

If your ever passing then highly recommend tea room at Lanercost Priory, great food friendly staff lovely setting, cakes look homemade but not sure, but they are delicious if you indulge.

If your ever passing then highly recommend tea room at Lanercost Priory, great food friendly staff lovely setting, cakes look homemade but not sure, but they are delicious if you indulge.
When my friend and I visited the Priory, we did indulge, but that was before my diabetes diagnosis!!

Back