Diabetic eye screening...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Went for my screening today which was fine. What was strange was the conversation I had with the nurse who was doing the screening.

First of all he asked me why I was here I waved my letter inviting me. Oh , but with your excellent numbers according to NICE you shouldn't be on the Diabetes Register as you are not diabetic anymore and very unlikely to have issues with my eyes. I replied I still take Metformin therefore my understanding is that remission is only achieved after some time of no metformin but by diet only etc. He repeated his NICE comment. Then asked me if I still wanted the screening, which I replied yes He then repeated that in his opinion I don't need the screening. I had the screening. Then he told me at my next annual review which i didn't need I should tell the Dr that in the screening person's opinion I didn't need ANY of the annual checks.

I had the screening and mulled over the conversation. All I could think of was this a way to save money... sigh. Whatever it was, it was weird.

It all depends on what your current HBA1C is and whether it is above or below the diabetes limit and by how much.

What diabetic register? I've never heard of one, or even been told I've been put on one.

I was told at my screening last year that it doesn't matter if my hba1c is good - "Once we've got you, it's for life."

The person (it is definitely not a nurse in my area) doing the scan does not appear to have access to that level of detail about me. They know I have diabetes but I don't think they know what type let alone my HBA1C.
If they followed the advice of the nurse @Sharron1 spoke to, I wonder what they would make of a Type 1 with an HBA1C below the type 2 "cut off" (or even the pre-diabetes numbers).

I would refuse to be taken off "the register".

I prefer to have all my annual testing, things can change, so I want as much information as possible.
I still declare diabetes on any insurance, and pay the premium, or anything else where any disagreement could be detrimental at the time.

It all depends on what your current HBA1C is and whether it is above or below the diabetes limit and by how much.
He said as my HBA1C is below 41 NICE no longer consider me as diabetic and therefore no need for any annual checks. I beg to.differ.

I have never been screened by a nurse, it has always been a technical, who never comment on anything medical.

He said as my HBA1C is below 41 NICE no longer consider me as diabetic and therefore no need for any annual checks. I beg to.differ.
As @helli said above, if your HbA1c is 'medication asissted', then you should still be classified as having Diabetes, and get all the checks. If he’s going to say that anyone with an HbAic below 41 shouldn’t have them, where does that leave people who manage their diabetes well on stronger drugs, or Insulin?

I have never been screened by a nurse, it has always been a technical, who never comment on anything medical.
This type of conversation at eye screening was a first for me. Usually one puts tge drops in and checks eyes . Then the second one takes the pictures and tells me if it appears ok and to wait for the letter. It was all a little unusual to say the least.

This type of conversation at eye screening was a first for me. Usually one puts tge drops in and checks eyes . Then the second one takes the pictures and tells me if it appears ok and to wait for the letter. It was all a little unusual to say the least.
For the last at least 10 years there has only been one person doing the screening.

Mine has always been like @grovesy
Just one person doing initial eye check (can you read the 4th row down on this chart?), putting the drops in, then taking the photos, doing an initial check and telling you to expect a letter in the post.

Bizzare! I was told I'd stay on the Diabetic Register while ever I was on metformin. Yes, perhaps your local NHS trust is trying to save money @Sharron1 :confused:

I'm sorry, the people doing the actual screening have only ever been technicians - no way Joe are they medically qualified in terms of being able to give expert advice regarding a medical condition. I couldn't care less what the NICE Guidelines say - they should be interpreted and applied by properly QUALIFIED medical practitioners having a lot of regard to the individual circumstances of each individual patient.

I'm sorry, the people doing the actual screening have only ever been technicians - no way Joe are they medically qualified in terms of being able to give expert advice regarding a medical condition. I couldn't care less what the NICE Guidelines say - they should be interpreted and applied by properly QUALIFIED medical practitioners having a lot of regard to the individual circumstances of each individual patient.
It was just odd but one of those things not to waste much time thinking about.

Went for my screening today which was fine. What was strange was the conversation I had with the nurse who was doing the screening.

First of all he asked me why I was here I waved my letter inviting me. Oh , but with your excellent numbers according to NICE you shouldn't be on the Diabetes Register as you are not diabetic anymore and very unlikely to have issues with my eyes. I replied I still take Metformin therefore my understanding is that remission is only achieved after some time of no metformin but by diet only etc. He repeated his NICE comment. Then asked me if I still wanted the screening, which I replied yes He then repeated that in his opinion I don't need the screening. I had the screening. Then he told me at my next annual review which i didn't need I should tell the Dr that in the screening person's opinion I didn't need ANY of the annual checks.

I had the screening and mulled over the conversation. All I could think of was this a way to save money... sigh. Whatever it was, it was weird.
I find this odd as, the people doing the screening have no access to your medical records so how would this person employed by the screening service know what your A1c is let alone what type of diabetes you have?
When I go to the screening I'm called into the room by name a few checks made (GP, type of diabetes) drops put in wait the 10-20 mins for the drops to work photos taken have a look at the screen and compare to last years result and sent on my merry way.

I find this odd as, the people doing the screening have no access to your medical records so how would this person employed by the screening service know what your A1c is let alone what type of diabetes you have?
When I go to the screening I'm called into the room by name a few checks made (GP, type of diabetes) drops put in wait the 10-20 mins for the drops to work photos taken have a look at the screen and compare to last years result and sent on my merry
Usually my experience. It was odd but nothing to really concern me.

No the photos are looked at by experts then posted out .
I have asked the technicians what they do with the photos. The ones in my area who come out are the same people who look at the photos when back in the office. They are experts in taking and reviewing the pictures.
At least two independent technicians/experts will look at the photos. If they identify any issues or disagree, a third person will review them.

This is the process in England. It is different in Scotland where they take one photo per eye and use software to review the scans. This software does not work in England where two photos are taken per eye (I am asked to look at the light once within the lens and once appearing outside the lens).

At least that is what I was told a couple of years ago when the scheduled technician was unwell and her manager did the screening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back