Diabetic eye screening questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MunchyM

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Morning everyone.

I'm due my first diabetic eye screening at the hospital next week and have a few queries.

The letter said they'll put some stingy stuff in my eyes and it'll make me sensitive to light and blurry sight for up to 6 hours. What are your experiences of this? Has it lasted the full 6 hours?

The reason I ask is because I work nights. My appointment is at 3:30pm and I am due at work at 10pm. My job involves constant use of a microscope (bright light and looking at very small/intricate things) and I'm wondering if I'll be able to use it that night or if I should book the night off. I dont want to strain my eyes as my eye sight is already atrocious at -12 in both eyes 😱

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me,
MunchyM

My sight is usually back to normal after 2-3 hours, sometimes sooner, but we are all different.

Follow the advice on the appointment letter. You must not drive to and from the appointment, your eyes will be very sensitive to light and be unable to focus. The full effects can last up to 6 hours, but I find, like @rebrascora, the effects have largely disappeared after 3 hours, reading newsprint without any difficulty.

The drops they administer do sting a little and make your eyes water, but they do give you a tissue to dab up the tears, so you don’t look like you’re distressed.

It’s worthwhile next year to give them a ring on the number in the letter if it’s an afternoon appointment to see if you could have a morning appointment, explaining your reasons.

@mikeyB Thank you for the advice. I'll probably look rather distressed anyway as I wont have had much sleep before my appointment :rofl: Good thinking about asking for a morning appointment, I hadn't even thought of that.

MunchyM

I’m one of those awkward folks whose eyes stay dilated for hours. Apparently I have sensitive pupils, I struggle driving in the dark as the car lights coming towards me dilate my eyes!
Don’t forget to take your sunglasses even it’s it’s raining/ dark sky’s etc. I’d you don’t, you will not only look like you’re been crying but that you’re drunk as you’ll be blinded by the light and be weaving about everywhere! Been there done that, I’m surprised I didn’t get arrested for being drunk and disorderly walking home at 11am in the morning!

My eyes have stayed sensitive for a long time afterwards. I had mine done at 2pm last Wednesday and they were still to sensitive to run at 7pm. As everyone has said above we all react differently, I always get a headache as well.

Some people don't even need the drops put in at all, so you might be lucky.

Morning everyone.

I'm due my first diabetic eye screening at the hospital next week and have a few queries.

The letter said they'll put some stingy stuff in my eyes and it'll make me sensitive to light and blurry sight for up to 6 hours. What are your experiences of this? Has it lasted the full 6 hours?

The reason I ask is because I work nights. My appointment is at 3:30pm and I am due at work at 10pm. My job involves constant use of a microscope (bright light and looking at very small/intricate things) and I'm wondering if I'll be able to use it that night or if I should book the night off. I dont want to strain my eyes as my eye sight is already atrocious at -12 in both eyes 😱

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me,
MunchyM
My sight went herzey for a few hours.

Had mine done at 09.30 this morning. Of course it's brilliant sunshine - I say of course because it can be as black as your hat when you go in - but ALWAYS bright sunshine when you come out even in November or January. Still can't look down the garden without screwing my face up, yet.

Hi munchy as this is your first check i would book the shift off, just to be on the safe side.
As has been said we all react slightly differently on my first one (in the morning last year) I was extremely light sensitive until mid afternoon then 'just' sensitive for another few hours after that. So I'd take the day off until YOU can tell what effect it has.

Had to 'rest my eyes' after lunch (ie fast asleep) Eyes are more back to normal by now, but wouldn't guarantee it yet!

How old are you and what colour are your eyes? Apparently the effects of the drops last longest in blue eyes. Depending on your age you can ask them to try without the drops too, I’m 34 and not old enough to need the drops yet.

@Lucyr @rebrascora I hadnt heard some people get away without drops. Oh no, I have blue eyes. I'm 33 so fingers crossed I might not need them...

@Stuvart thanks for the advice 🙂 I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed

Thank you everyone for getting back to me and sharing your experiences. It helps settle the nerves/uncertainty a bit as I'm very much a worrier

MunchyM

How old are you and what colour are your eyes? Apparently the effects of the drops last longest in blue eyes. Depending on your age you can ask them to try without the drops too, I’m 34 and not old enough to need the drops yet.
I was 29 when I had my screening I still had the drops. I made the mistake of ranging it close to diner time which was a nightmare for carb counting

I didn't need them when young but did after about 33 so you are borderline age wise. I once had a delay and the ophthalmologist ordered extra drops for everyone. That evening I struggled measuring out insulin and things were still slightly blurred at 11:00 pm. I always tried for afternoon appointments when working. Probably best to take the night off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back