Diabetic engineer died after doctors left him festering with gangrene on hospital bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A diabetic father died of a heart attack after hospital staff left him festering with stinking gangrene for more than a week, an inquest heard.

A porter joked with maintenance engineer Ian Shaffer, 61, that he had flies buzzing round his feet, which stank of rotting flesh, and his sheets were left unchanged while he waited for an infected foot ulcer to be treated.

His daughter told an inquest it took nine days for two NHS hospitals to finally operate on her father after he repeatedly whispered 'death, death' to relatives and told his wife Bernice he 'felt like he was in hell'.

A day after the surgery on his foot he started wheezing and died of a heart attack.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...al-bed-buzzing-flies-stank-rotting-flesh.html

:(

Disgusting health care being shown, they ought to strike off the doctors and nurses involved.

Even at my local one can see there is a lack of care towards patients, will be interesting to hear the out come of my complaints at my local for their lack of care.

That is terrible, bad care in the NHS seems to be widespread and the thought of going into hospital is becoming quite scarey !:(

That is terrible, bad care in the NHS seems to be widespread and the thought of going into hospital is becoming quite scarey !:(

I think it is probably a case of the media currently reporting all the bad things, but which are probably a miniscule proportion of the number of hospital experiences. Discrediting hospitals is one way that the Coalition are ripening them up for private enterprises to step in. Whilst it is very wrong that such cases ever occur, in any organisation the size of the NHS there will always be tragic situations that occur :(

We had a talk from the local hospital diabetes team who told us that we should always insist on seeing a member of their team if we have to go into hospital for any reason, whether diabetes-related or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back