Diabetic driver who killed woman during seizure at wheel faces jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A diabetic man who concealed his condition in order to keep his driving licence has admitted killing a former nurse after suffering a seizure at the wheel.

Brian Docherty ploughed into Elizabeth McGuinness, 63, and her friend Barbara McCready, 64, as they were on their way home from a church service.

The High Court in Glasgow heard Docherty, 45, had a poor history of taking medication to control his Type 2 diabetes and had failed to notify the DVLA of his condition.

Advocate-depute Murdo MacTaggart told the court: "It appears the accused suffered a hypoglycemic attack while he was driving.

http://local.stv.tv/glasgow/202157-...led-woman-during-seizure-at-wheel-faces-jail/

Could that name be more Scottish? Terrible story :(

Sounds like his GP didn't take due diligence in preventing this man driving by writing to DVLA!

So charge the doctor next if he has broken the law.

But as far as the accident itself is concerned, that IS 100% the driver's OWN responsibility.

hold on it says he's a type 2 ...do us T2 have to declare aswell ? :confused:

as apparently we don't suffer hypos ...that's why we don't need to test 🙄

hold on it says he's a type 2 ...do us T2 have to declare aswell ? :confused:

as apparently we don't suffer hypos ...that's why we don't need to test 🙄

He might be on gliclizide or insulin, it doesn't say.

Doesn't the name of the advocate remind anyone else of the Procurator Fiscal in Dr Finlay's casebook? I had a mental picture of that actor as soon as I saw the name!

What was he called, the actor and the character?

Tried to look at that page earlier, our Firewall blocks it.

Love your Spoonerism!

Whilst this type of accident (if it was actually caused by a hypo) is totally unacceptable the problem is that it, and the associated reporting, sends out very negative attitudes to diabetics. People can collapse for various reasons and much about this case seems vague. Becky Boo?s car was recently hit by a driver that collapsed although I cannot recall if the reason was ever posted. Accidents have been caused over the years by alcohol, the side effects of numerous medicines, side effects of treatments such as radiotherapy, age, etc. I think that they should go back to the three year licence system for everybody rather than issue licences to the majority to age 70. Hopefully the full story of this case will be reported accurately one day ? although I doubt it.

fair enough ...but at what point do you have to declare ...?

As soon as you are prescribed insulin or any hypo inducing medication (insulin, gliclizide) the GP should tell you to report it to the DVLA. If the GP believes that you are unfit to drive (i.e had a qualifying hypo) then they should notify the DVLA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back