Diabetic Days of Yore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I won?t forget those wise old words my Daddy said to me
As he sat down in his chair one night and perched me on his knee.
He said, ?Son, diabetes wasn?t always so much fun,
So let me tell you how it was in 1931!?

Twice a day we?d drive to town, down to the abattoir,
Pick out a bovine pancreas and stow it in the car,
And when we got home Mum and Dad would mash that organ up,
And strain it through a muslin bag into a paper cup?

Then Dad would get some chemicals and boil them in a pan,
Adding bits of this and that with flourish and ?lan!
And meanwhile I would drink and drink until I had to pee,
And Mum would take a jar away, as swiftly as could be!

She?d add it to the chemicals, and if it turned bright red
Then I would have no supper and be sent off straight to bed.
But if it just turned yellowish, I?d have something to eat
Like carrots mashed in gravy, with sweet pickles for a treat!

I didn?t like the needles though, at least six inches long!
So Mum would jig around the room, distracting me with song!
And when he?d scraped the rust off, Dad would stick it in my butt,
I?d bite down on a leather strap to keep my mouth tight shut!

So, should you whinge and moan about how finger pricking?s bad,
Then pause to contemplate about the progress we have had.
We?ve gone from times when prospects for our future might seem poor,
To looking forward to the day that they announce the cure!

:D

Great Poem...made me think just how lucky we are that medicine and technology has progressed this far.....dont think i would be able to do it back then 😱

Great Poem...made me think just how lucky we are that medicine and technology has progressed this far.....dont think i would be able to do it back then 😱

Indeed, although I suppose we would have all done what was necessary to stay alive.It seems that these days the hard work goes into getting levels as tight as possible, which can make life more complex in many ways. I'm always struck (from a Type 1 perspective) when I read blogs from North American bloggers by how prevalent pumps seem to be - unless it's just a fact that American/Canadian bloggers are the ones on pumps, and MDI people rarely blog! I wonder how long (if ever) it will be before pumps become the norm here?

Great poem but gave me some flashbacks....i remember those darn needles of six inches long that used to attach to the bottom of the hypodermic stringe (which i still have) and used to play darts with the needles as they landed nicely into the carpet!!! I will never forget them.

Don't want to start a loooooong debate but i don't believe there will ever be a cure as pharmaceutical companies earn way too much from us all along with all the other nasty diseases out there...call me cynical.

At least medical science is improving the managing of diabetes making it more comfortable though - keep on the bright side hey 🙂

Bernie xx 🙂

Great poem but gave me some flashbacks....i remember those darn needles of six inches long that used to attach to the bottom of the hypodermic stringe (which i still have) and used to play darts with the needles as they landed nicely into the carpet!!! I will never forget them.

Don't want to start a loooooong debate but i don't believe there will ever be a cure as pharmaceutical companies earn way too much from us all along with all the other nasty diseases out there...call me cynical.

At least medical science is improving the managing of diabetes making it more comfortable though - keep on the bright side hey 🙂

Bernie xx 🙂

Sorry if I brought back bad memories Bernie! 😱 Regarding the cure, I agree that there is a lot of self-interest involved with the pharma companies - they are probably working hard on something that is better, but costs twice as much! There are other organisations though, like Diabetes UK and JDRF, to name but two, whose brief and aims are different, so there is still hope! Personally, I think that the nearest we'll get in the next twenty years is something like smart insulin and testing patches.

Sorry if I brought back bad memories Bernie! 😱 Regarding the cure, I agree that there is a lot of self-interest involved with the pharma companies - they are probably working hard on something that is better, but costs twice as much! There are other organisations though, like Diabetes UK and JDRF, to name but two, whose brief and aims are different, so there is still hope! Personally, I think that the nearest we'll get in the next twenty years is something like smart insulin and testing patches.

No bad memories Northe...it makes me chuckle really as a child i did this rather than getting angry about it all. My parents weren't so amused though lol...kids hey :D

I am always hopeful and would be more than happy to be proved wrong about the rest 🙂

Bernie xx

Excellent poem !! :D

I can certainly remember the little plastic box of 10 stainless steel 28g needles that lasted at least half a dozen injections each.
And the syringe kept in surgical spirit and boiled up every few weeks.

And as for urine testing.... don't get me started !! 🙄

I still hope that one day they'll perfect the transplant/implant procedure. Too late for some of us maybe but it would save a lot of stress for many.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back