Diabetic cookbooks geared toward bland palate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay916

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew of any diabetes cookbooks/ websites focused on an elderly or blander palate?

My elderly mother has type 2 diabetes.
She does not eat pasta, rice, couscous, curries, noodles, takeaways, or anything with garlic, chilli or any spices.
She has what I call a classic approach to food - meat and two veg, fish and chips, chicken pie, omelette etc

Does anyone know of any cookbooks/material on diabetes specifically targeted to a blander palate?

Many thanks
Jay

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew of any diabetes cookbooks/ websites focused on an elderly or blander palate?

She does not eat pasta, rice, couscous, curries, noodles, takeaways, or anything with garlic, chilli or any spices.
She has what I call a classic approach to food - meat and two veg, fish and chips, chicken pie, omelette etc

Does anyone know of any cookbooks/material on diabetes specifically targeted to a blander palate?

Many thanks
Jay
Following with interest Jay as I would like a blander cookbook too, although I do eat some pasta and curries I tend to opt for more plain food given the choice. A healthy burger and sweet potato fries maybe. (I think they call it a naked burger as you lose the bun 🙂

Hi and welcome
The things she does not eat are not so good for type 2 diabetes anyway but meat and veg, fish preferably not battered but some places do lightly dusted fish fillets, omelettes are all good, salads with cooked meat or tinned fish, coleslaw, eggs, cheese. It is the potatoes to be careful of and pastry and of course cakes, biscuits and crisps.
Sugarfree jelly with cream or greek yoghurt with berries are good deserts.
You can internet search for meals, just put low carb or keto.
Does she do her own cooking or rely on pre-prepared meals.?
Do you know what her HbA1C is and is she on any medication as that will give an ideas as to how careful she need to be with having low carb foods.

Following with interest Jay as I would like a blander cookbook too, although I do eat some pasta and curries I tend to opt for more plain food given the choice. A healthy burger and sweet potato fries maybe. (I think they call it a naked burger as you lose the bun 🙂
You may find this link helpful with some meal ideas and there are some do's and don'ts. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Many thanks for the thoughts.
Mum normally does ok but has been poorly for a while for which she needed very high dose steroids for the last year. Unfortunately, the effect of the steroids on diabetes was missed ( now caught and medication increased). With being poorly at the moment, she barely has the energy to make a cuppa, so her normal cooking is out the window. I am trying to fill the freezer with homemade veg packed, pop in the oven from frozen, type meals for when I can't get over to help.
Jenny65 - I have mostly been using Mary berry an Delia recipes for mum as they tend to be good classics. Jamie Olivers book ministry of food also has good classic basics.

Many thanks for the thoughts.
Mum normally does ok but has been poorly for a while for which she needed very high dose steroids for the last year. Unfortunately, the effect of the steroids on diabetes was missed ( now caught and medication increased). With being poorly at the moment, she barely has the energy to make a cuppa, so her normal cooking is out the window. I am trying to fill the freezer with homemade veg packed, pop in the oven from frozen, type meals for when I can't get over to help.
Jenny65 - I have mostly been using Mary berry an Delia recipes for mum as they tend to be good classics. Jamie Olivers book ministry of food also has good classic basics.
How about soups, easy to make a big batch and freeze, broccolli and stilton, courgette and brie, butternut squash and red pepper, leek, pea and celery are all easy. I use Philadelphia to help the texture.

I would love to know too as I only eat bland food and heave at even the smell of garlic

Many thanks
Jay

Many members find it helpful to start where they are, and make adjustments or swaps to try to reduce the carbohydrate content

So meat and 2 veg would be lower impact if swapping potato to swede or celeriac, or perhaps having 2 non-carby veg.

Depending on how her diabetes responds to pastry, pies might be tweakable by just having a pastry topper?

Omelette is a great one, but again it would be about the accompaniments, so omelette and a big salad would be very low impact on BGs. But not so much if eaten with something carby like bread or chips.

Hope she can find some BG-friendly adaptations of her favourites 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back