Diabetic Cook Book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellowyne

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone, I hope all is ok with you all.

I am ever struggling, but trying to cope...my fasting BG's are still in the high 9's and 10's...Though my DSN says' I'm doing well?...ok 🙄

Anyway, I am just a really C*** cook, anything that can go in the oven and not require any more than that is the best for me...I just do NOt enjoy cooking at all...However, I need to get to grips with my food, everything is so boring and bland...Please, can anyone recommend a really good 'Easy' Diabetic cookbook to help me?

I am in need of some direction....😱

Thankies in advance...Ellowyne xXx

What sorts of things do you like to eat Ellowyne? I think a good idea is to read up on the Glycaemic Load diet (similar to GI) and learn the principles so that you can then apply them to your own simple recipes (which means, if you are like me -food combinations rather than anything elaborate!). I found this book to be a very good introduction to GL:

http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=7337

I don't really use recipe books, but having an understanding of GL helps me decide what to buy and what to reject when out shopping.

Hi Northerner...I hope you are ok and keeping yourself well!

Hmm...What do I like to eat? Well, I am big on veg, eat lots of Chicken, love sauces...but low carb sauces are hard to find!...Love Bread and Potatoes too!!...Not good I know, I do not eat any white bread though, only Granury. I am wondering if Sweet Potatoes are lower in carbs than new potatoes? Oh, love Avacados, could eat them all day!...Just would like some nice recipes to cook with my son, he loves cooking and has a Mum who hates it, lol!

Just would be great to get some tatsy ideas 🙂 Oh, I can't eat fish...I am very sesitive to it, I have full on severe stomach cramps! :(

Ellowyne xXx

Thanks Ellowyne 🙂 I wonder if there are any 'healthy eating' student cookbooks that would be useful to you and your son? They are usually less elaborate and use more readily available ingredients than a lot of 'dinner party' type cookbooks. The books are usually quite cheap too - is your local library any good?

Omelettes are good and easy to make and you can add a variety of things to them to make them filling and different and they are low carb. Sweet potatoes are lower carb I think - certainly lower GI, but I think avocado is quite high calorie as it has a high fat content. Personally, I tend to cook up big pans of standards like bolognese sauce, chilli con carne, sweet and sour, curry etc., then freeze them in portions - that way you still have a variety and you don't have to cook every day, just zap in the micorwave and add some rice or potato etc. - I've been reducing my rice portions and no longer add salt in cooking, and eat more of, say kidney beans in the chilli or mushrooms in the bolognese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back