"diabetic chocolates"

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife, Chris, was given a box of Thorntons "diabetic" chocolates at christmas.
I have heard widely conflicting views on this type of product, does anyone have any views on this topic?

Your comments would be appreciated!

My wife, Chris, was given a box of Thorntons "diabetic" chocolates at christmas.
I have heard widely conflicting views on this type of product, does anyone have any views on this topic?

Your comments would be appreciated!

hi there personally i do not like the diabetic choccys there have a laxtive effect on some people {me}

hi Duncan someone asked a few days back, i also recieved a box of choccies from thortons for my birthday and they went down a treat and i was fine like .Mine where diabetic sugar free and he they had to be done away from the shop and father in law had to pick them up, something i had never heard of, alot of people fal linto the trap that if they see it says diabetic it will be ok,but it still causes havoc with people , funny thing is i have cadburts choccie odds times n they have a worse effecton me then the diabetic choc.

Diabetic chocolates are OK in moderation (one or two), but they do have a laxative effect if too many are eaten in one go. Some people also don't take the carb content into account.

If your wife likes chocolate and is happy with just a small ammount, she is probably better off with good quality ordinary chcocolate, even dark chocolate. As part of a meal it wont do any harm and we all need a treat sometimes.

Lots of people try to be kind and think if it says diabetic you can have unlimted quantities. I have found it takes some carefull handling to persuade people not to buy the diabetic stuff, although one or two people I have had to tell right out not to buy it.

The sweeteners in diabetic chocolate tend to have a laxative effective so it's best to eat them in moderation. They do also have a carb content, often not greatly lower than regular chcolate. Because of this is generally advised that you may as well eat the normal stuff in moderation instead of having to stick to the diabetic stuff, but no 'harm' in it so long as they're not all eaten in one sitting!

Watch out for the sweeteners in Diabetic chocolate. It's almost as good as ex-lax. I learnt the hard way. On the throne for hours.

Go for ordinary chocolate in small amounts. Dark high cocoa percentage has less sugar.

If I was given them I would probably eat them, but would have to eat only 1 or 2 at a time as they give me stomach problems. But would never buy them or ask for them. I go for the normal stuff and give enough insulin to cover.

This is what I suspected guys, thanks for confirming what I thought.
Happy new year to you all.

Lindt 70% has a good reputation among many diabetics. A couple of squares and the bgs hardly move.

my hospital have always said about how can make u ill if u eat to much (and they do) so it has to be in moderation they dont taste that great i much rather the real stuff

Lindt 70% has a good reputation among many diabetics. A couple of squares and the bgs hardly move.

i didnot know this thanks usually graham has ordinary choc

is it not more fattening than normal choc as well? its boufing thats all i know hehe 😉

like someone else said, 'diabetic' chocolate basically has similar carb content to normal chocolate, so to me it's pointless. i've long been a hater of diabetic chocolate actually! i remember a couple of years ago i was in Thorntons and i heard some people talking about buying someone diabetic chocolate. i went over to them and explained that i was type 1 and why i didn't agree with diabetic chocolate. they were pleased i'd told them as they had just assumed it was good because it said 'diabetic' on it!

im with u shiv, give me cadburys any day of the week lol

When first diagnosed i was so happy to find diabetic chocolate on the shelf...NEVER AGAIN!

I hated dark chocolate but have now developed an addiction to Lindt 70% its not bitter at all and about 33 carbs for the whole 100g bar!! not that i have the whole bar.....:D

I had a small bar of Thorntons diabetic fudge. Never again, spent a good few hours running up and down to the loo 😱
I would rather have a small bar of Galaxy 😛

When I was diagnosed and stuck in hospital my boyfriend bought me some diabetic chocolate eclairs and I only ate 5 over 2 days but they gave me terrible stomach pains.
Last weekend I my mum was terrorisong me by going into Hotel Chocolate in the Arndale centre!! and I got talking to an assistant and he suggested I try their chocolate anyhting over 74% which apparently they have consulted with diabetes uk over. That pretty much just left dark chocolate. I must say it was quite nice and I didnt have a ny stomach problems. Just somethig that worked for me thats all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back