Diabetic cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Libbythecat18

Relationship to Diabetes
Other Type
Can I have other people advice on what they did about diabetic cat food? My cat is 18, blind, takes meds for her blood pressure, hyperthyroidism and has very recently been diagnosed diabetic. I don't hold out much hope with vets as they charged £300, for the starter set must at least double what I could of got it elsewhere. Look forward to hearing from you.

Can I have other people advice on what they did about diabetic cat food? My cat is 18, blind, takes meds for her blood pressure, hyperthyroidism and has very recently been diagnosed diabetic. I don't hold out much hope with vets as they charged £300, for the starter set must at least double what I could of got it elsewhere. Look forward to hearing from you.
ProPlan veterinary foods can be bought on Amazon including dry and wet pouches.

Hi and welcome.

Is your cat on medication for the diabetes? Are you testing BG levels. If no medication then I would think mostly meat or fish or eggs perhaps, probably well chopped for a cat of 18 as I would imagine teeth might not be as good as they might be at that age. Carbohydrates are mostly the problem with diabetes, so things containing or made from grains and potatoes and fruit. Protein and fat have much less impact on BG levels and as a carnivore, these are the natural foods for a feline. I suspect that the processed foods we buy for cats or pets in general is half the problem with such conditions developing and perhaps giving them some of our own food. I would suggest scrambled egg would be a good easy option perhaps with some flakes of fish or meat mixed into it. Certainly not an expert on veterinary nutrition though.

I had a dog many years ago with diabetes and kept him on the same food he had always had and just gave him the insulin he needed to cover the food.
At 18 puddy cats life expectancy would not be that great great, so let her enjoy the food she has.
No1 rule never have stuff from the vet as one hell of a mark up, insulin ask for a prescription and get it on line any testing kit try amazon.

Is your cat on insulin?

Hi and welcome.

Is your cat on medication for the diabetes? Are you testing BG levels. If no medication then I would think mostly meat or fish or eggs perhaps, probably well chopped for a cat of 18 as I would imagine teeth might not be as good as they might be at that age. Carbohydrates are mostly the problem with diabetes, so things containing or made from grains and potatoes and fruit. Protein and fat have much less impact on BG levels and as a carnivore, these are the natural foods for a feline. I suspect that the processed foods we buy for cats or pets in general is half the problem with such conditions developing and perhaps giving them some of our own food. I would suggest scrambled egg would be a good easy option perhaps with some flakes of fish or meat mixed into it. Certainly not an expert on veterinary nutrition though.

It's difficult to know what's in cat food.
High(ish) end Felix jelly

Ingredients

Meat and animal derivatives* (of which beef 4%)
Fish and fish derivatives
Minerals
Various sugars

Calories

75kCals per 100g

Nutrition & Analytical Constituents

Moisture: 83.0%
Crude protein: 8.5%
Fat Content: 3.0%
Crude ash: 2.5%
Crude fibre: 0.05%
Omega-6 fatty acids: 0.6%

So that's 97.56%
Sugar could only be 2.44%
(That ties roughly into the calories too)
In a 100g pack that's negligible.

The 7+ is even better probably only 1.9g of sugar per pack.

(I do try the cat food before I feed the cat a new one, it's definitely not sweet. They all pretty much taste the same to me, but the cat seems to prefer this one)

Eggs are ok, not a full time replacement meal though, they don't contain the full spectrum of nutrients for cats, all decent cat food does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone. I just paid £60 at the vets, for her check up and feel so stupid, as I was only giving her insulin the mornings. I know that in hindsight, it makes sense now after every meal. I am beside myself about the whole situation and the right balance for my cat. Insulin and blood sugar jabs/needles, weekly vet visits. The right balance of quality if life and financially this us destroying me.

Thank you everyone. I just paid £60 at the vets, for her check up and feel so stupid, as I was only giving her insulin the mornings. I know that in hindsight, it makes sense now after every meal. I am beside myself about the whole situation and the right balance for my cat. Insulin and blood sugar jabs/needles, weekly vet visits. The right balance of quality if life and financially this us destroying me.

I hope mine never needs insulin.
It's a snarling ball of teeth and claws.
I lose skin trying to get it into the carrier.
I'd have to buy a dart gun!

Thank you on that advice, am really struggling...
I looked after my sister in laws diabetic dog for a while and had to give her 2 injections per day and collect a wee sample to test than give a certain amount of insulin depending on the glucose level. If she was hypo which was obvious as she became confused and unsteady then I had to give her honey or a sachet of sugar. Not easy and I suspect more difficult with a cat.

Luckily my cat has mellowed but my vet reckons that she my become more lively once again... I have many war wounds from her and her late mother.

Apologies if I haven't not replied to everyone individually, it's just I am not used to this layout on the forum. All advice is useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back