Diabetic Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janet

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
My son (8) has been given a laminated card (the size of a business card.) to carry at all times to identify his Diabetes. All emergency numbers are logged.

I dont feel that this is sufficient for a child of his age. I would prefer a bracelet or necklace with all his details, which is less likely to get lost.

Can anyone tell me where I can obtain one.?

Thanks!

I've got several from this site: www.coolmedid.com , they have loads of different colours etc and are hard wearing. It is an American site but they've always been happy to ship them over for a reasonable price and are very quick.

I've heard that the USB ones aren't as useful as they want you to believe, because a lot of hospitals won't use them until they've gone through technical screening, in case of viruses, etc. Since it took me nearly 8 hours to get my phone charger PAT tested at the hospital, I'm fairly convinced that wouldn't be a quick process!

Just to play devil's advocate, obviously. I think in theory, they're a great idea!

Hi Rose has a medic alert baracelet, here's there site: https://beta.medicalert.org/join/becomeAMember.htm?selected=Membership_Overview

Her name is not on the bracelet but her ID number that emergency services would call and they have all her uptodate details. The service is 24hours all over the world. There is a membership fee annually though. It also has that she is a type 1 diabetic using insulin via a pump.

HAHAHA just noticed my typo.......baracelet sounds quite funky though! Obviously meant bracelet.......

I've put a medalert notice on the screen of my mobile phone with my condition and a contact number for my NOK. I always have it with me, so it made sense.

My son (8) has been given a laminated card (the size of a business card.) to carry at all times to identify his Diabetes. All emergency numbers are logged.

I dont feel that this is sufficient for a child of his age. I would prefer a bracelet or necklace with all his details, which is less likely to get lost.

Can anyone tell me where I can obtain one.?

Thanks!
Hi Janet
I've been thinking exactly the same, my son is also 8 and carrying a card is a no no, he would loose his head if it wasn't screwed on let alone a little card in his pocket!!!
He can't wear a necklace/chain as he plays lots of sport, health and safety blah blah...
I have seen somewhere those rubbery coloured bracelets, like the charity ones, which can have a little bit of info on them.
Not sure what to do really!
Hope you're getting on ok.
Caryn

Hi Janet
I've been thinking exactly the same, my son is also 8 and carrying a card is a no no, he would loose his head if it wasn't screwed on let alone a little card in his pocket!!!
He can't wear a necklace/chain as he plays lots of sport, health and safety blah blah...
I have seen somewhere those rubbery coloured bracelets, like the charity ones, which can have a little bit of info on them.
Not sure what to do really!
Hope you're getting on ok.
Caryn

Hi Caryn

Seems you and I are in very similar situations. Both new mums of boys newly diagnosed and same age. I'm sure with all the experience from these lovely forum friends who are so eager to help us with our queries, anxious moments and doubts. I feel we are in safe hands.!!

We are managing ok at the moment. But every day is never the same.
as I'm sure you are experiencing. How has your little boy settled in school?

Regards
Janet

There was a thread not too far back with the rubbery bracelets...someone on here got one? They were personalised...Does anyone remember?

My son is 13 and has a leather bracelet bit with a metal tag (metal tag from Lauren's Hope, American site), with condition, insulin pump wearer, his name, and my husband's mobile which is always on him. All underneath the metal, so nothing to see. He also has that he is type 1 on his mobile phone screen...

There are also velcro-ed sporty ones, which might be good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back