Diabetic Amyotrophy update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anna42

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
In May I posted about my experience with Diabetic Amyotrophy. At the time there wasn't a lot of info on the site about it - it's quite rare.

I've had the illness now for over a year and thought I'd let you know how I was getting on! It may help someone else, you never know. It's an odd thing indeed and I just wanted to share.

The symptoms are weight loss, muscle wasting, weakness, and extreme pain. It also effected my digestion.

In August I woke with a pain in my hip. It wasn't too bad and I thought I'd pulled a muscle pushing the grandchildren on the swings. Over the following fortnight it got worse and went down my leg to my knee and foot. Classic signs of sciatica which I'd had before - so I went to an osteophath. There wasn't anything that needed manipulation, and I was given a massage and a list of exercises. However, the pain increased over the following weeks and was really bad. I couldn't sleep because of it and was only getting 2/3 hours a night - I spent the rest of the time walking around the house clutching a hot water bottle to my back.

I also noticed that I'd started to lose weight; a couple of pounds a week. The GP still thought I had sciatica and referred me to physiotherapy who eventually sent me for an xray and MRI. The results showed slight disc degeneration and arthritis but didn't account for the amount of pain, weight loss or the fact that I was now beginning to lose muscle in my legs. My quadricepes began to disappear.

I started to limp and found I couldn't lift my leg or bear weight so couldn't climb stairs properly. My knee started to give way and I began to fall over without warning. I felt sick all the time and couldn't eat; sometimes I'd throw up after a few mouthfuls. The pain was now truly awful especially in my knee, and I was reduced to moaning and tears quite often.

I had lost 3 stone in 8 months and the GP was worried about cancer and gave me extensive tests, scans etc. One of these tests turned up a huge level in blood sugar and I had to go to A&E where I spent over a day being diagnosed and treated. I had type 2 diabetes and had probably had it for some time.

The GP was stumped and because of the diabetes, he now suspected neuropathy he didn't know which kind, so referred me to a neurologist who recognised my problem immediately and diagnosed Diabetic Amyotrophy. This is different from other neuropothies and is quite rare. They think it happened to me because I'd had untreated type 2 diabetes, which caused the nerves in my leg to become inflamed. It usually affects the kidneys first, so I guess I was lucky! I was given pegabalin to help with the pain.

It got a bit worse. It started affecting my other leg and I could barely walk. My balance went and I couldn't stand or get up from the toilet. However, the diabetes was under control and I began to stop taking tablets for it and now control it by diet alone. This is the first step in the only treatment there is. I went into - and am still in - a wheelchair. I can walk a bit with 2 sticks but am not safe outdoors with them - too tottery!

The good news for anyone out there who may have it is that a recovery is possible. Isn't that wonderful?! Very very slowly I can feel the strength returning to my legs. I've just managed to reduce my pain meds (pregabalin) and my appetite has returned. I am 5foot 4 inches and weighed 7stone but am beginning to put on weight again thank goodness -- the dietician has given me carte blanche to eat cream, cheese and butter for a while. There's a definite upside! I actually took a walk outside yesterday, through Sainburys car park and didn't fall over, so am hopeful that I can give up the wheelchair before too long.

I do hope this information might help spread the word about Diabetic Amyotrophy, and that if you're really unlucky enough to experience it, you can take hope that a recovery, in part or in whole, is possible. I'll let you know when I'm skipping again.

Thanks so much for the update Anna. I think sharing information is incredibly important, particularly with rarer conditions like this, so that it may help others who are perhaps struggling with a diagnosis.
It sounds like you are starting to see progress and as you say, a relief that it can be reversible rather than kidney damage although it has clearly been excruciating and debilitating for you and must have been a massive worry!

Look forward to you posting your next update and if you are skipping by then I will happily raise a glass to celebrate with you. Enjoy the cream and butter and cheese. Many of us follow a low carb higher fat way of eating to manage our diabetes and find it quite enjoyable. Good to hear that a dietician is encouraging this in your situation. Most NHS staff cannot cope with the idea of recommending more fat after a lifetime of advising "low fat" to everyone.

Good luck with your continued recovery.

That’s a fantastic post @Anna42 because it’s so detailed and will be so very helpful to anyone else ever suffering this. Thank you for writing it.

I hope you continue to improve and send you my best wishes for a gradual return to strength.

Thanks so much for the update Anna. I think sharing information is incredibly important, particularly with rarer conditions like this, so that it may help others who are perhaps struggling with a diagnosis.
It sounds like you are starting to see progress and as you say, a relief that it can be reversible rather than kidney damage although it has clearly been excruciating and debilitating for you and must have been a massive worry!

Look forward to you posting your next update and if you are skipping by then I will happily raise a glass to celebrate with you. Enjoy the cream and butter and cheese. Many of us follow a low carb higher fat way of eating to manage our diabetes and find it quite enjoyable. Good to hear that a dietician is encouraging this in your situation. Most NHS staff cannot cope with the idea of recommending more fat after a lifetime of advising "low fat" to everyone.

Good luck with your continued recovery.
Thank you for your supportive comment. Fingers crossed that all goes well in the coming months - I'm off to eat a pork pie!

That’s a fantastic post @Anna42 because it’s so detailed and will be so very helpful to anyone else ever suffering this. Thank you for writing it.

I hope you continue to improve and send you my best wishes for a gradual return to strength.
Thank you! That's very kind x

This is in case anyone with this condition reads this thread wanting to know more and about the prognosis for amyotrophy. An update for you! I left you whilst I was taking pregabalin and was in a wheelchair but slightly improving. The neurologist told me it could take many months, maybe a couple of years, to get better but he was hopeful that I would. I've had the condition since Aug 2020 so that just 16 months in total. It took a whole year for the condition to fully out itself before levelling off and finally beginning to improve in about Sept 2021 (13 months)

Progress was and still is slow. There are improvements most weeks - just little things like getting in and out of the shower a little easier or being able to use both legs to climb the stairs. Although still slightly painful ( a bit like a sprain) it's manageable and I've stopped taking pregabalin. My appetite has fully returned to normal and apart from eating sensibly to keep the diabetes under control, I don't have to worry about weight any more and have returned to 53kg for 5ft 4inches.

I have a mobility scooter for longer distances, but around the shops I'm stable enough to use a frame or 2 sticks outside and 1 stick inside. I'm cautious about the knees collapsing again, but touch wood that hasn't happened since I started my recovery in September. I guess that worry will stay with me for a while.

I don't check this thread very often so please do message me if you want to know more. Happy to answer any questions. I've been told that there have been just 5 cases in 20 years and it's been a struggle to find out more because of that. American sites seem to have more info - the nhs website has nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back