Diabetic Achilles Heel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty1500

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
In no particular order, here are the top ten foods I should avoid but don?t.

1. Sugar (2 spoons in every cuppa)
2. Cheese (every variety imaginable)
3. Bread
4. Rice pudding
5. Scotch Eggs
6. Chips
7. English breakfast (my golf club is to blame, not me guv?)
8. Sandwiches
9. Doritos
10. Honey roasted cashews

To be fair, I have cut down a lot of the above and I do not have take-outs. I just haven?t found an enjoyable diet for me yet.

In no particular order, here are the top ten foods I should avoid but don?t.

1. Sugar (2 spoons in every cuppa)
2. Cheese (every variety imaginable)
3. Bread
4. Rice pudding
5. Scotch Eggs
6. Chips
7. English breakfast (my golf club is to blame, not me guv?)
8. Sandwiches
9. Doritos
10. Honey roasted cashews

To be fair, I have cut down a lot of the above and I do not have take-outs. I just haven?t found an enjoyable diet for me yet.

Hi Monty! OK, here's what I think:

1. Use artificial sweetener instead, or gradually wean yourself off sugar. I used to take 2, now have about a quarter of a teaspoon - can't quite give it up completely! Also, switch to skimmed milk. Takes a little while, but eventually you won't be able to drink semi-skimmed because it tastes too fatty!

2. Cheese is OK. It's got no carbohydrate in it, so won't spike your blood sugar and lowers the GI of meals containing it. Only problem is fat and calories, so lower fat cheeses are best if you need to watch your weight.

3. Bread is fine, just don't overdo it. White bread and wholemeal bread are the worst - spike your blood faster than sugar! Choose wholegrain, granary, seeded bread and enjoy! Some people stop eating bread because of the carbs, but you need to test to find out how you react.

4. This is OK if low sugar and eaten as part of a meal, but is rather carby, so an occasional treat.

5. Fat is only problem, probably 'bad' fat too.

6. Oven chips are best. 'Chippy' chips are worst!

7. This is low carb, so won't affect your blood sugars (no fried bread!). Grill bacon and use 'One Cal' cooking spray for eggs and mushrooms. Probably no black pudding.

8. See number 3 - make sure it is seeded, granary bread. Make them yourself so you know what's going in them!

9. I'd find an alternative with less salt, fat and carbs

10. Cashews are fine, or peanuts - I have dry roasted for flavour.

Hope this helps! 🙂

Hi Monty! OK, here's what I think:

1. Use artificial sweetener instead, or gradually wean yourself off sugar. I used to take 2, now have about a quarter of a teaspoon - can't quite give it up completely! Also, switch to skimmed milk. Takes a little while, but eventually you won't be able to drink semi-skimmed because it tastes too fatty!

2. Cheese is OK. It's got no carbohydrate in it, so won't spike your blood sugar and lowers the GI of meals containing it. Only problem is fat and calories, so lower fat cheeses are best if you need to watch your weight.

3. Bread is fine, just don't overdo it. White bread and wholemeal bread are the worst - spike your blood faster than sugar! Choose wholegrain, granary, seeded bread and enjoy! Some people stop eating bread because of the carbs, but you need to test to find out how you react.

4. This is OK if low sugar and eaten as part of a meal, but is rather carby, so an occasional treat.

5. Fat is only problem, probably 'bad' fat too.

6. Oven chips are best. 'Chippy' chips are worst!

7. This is low carb, so won't affect your blood sugars (no fried bread!). Grill bacon and use 'One Cal' cooking spray for eggs and mushrooms. Probably no black pudding.

8. See number 3 - make sure it is seeded, granary bread. Make them yourself so you know what's going in them!

9. I'd find an alternative with less salt, fat and carbs

10. Cashews are fine, or peanuts - I have dry roasted for flavour.

Hope this helps! 🙂

This helps a lot - many thanks

I'd like to say Monty how very honest of you, I looked at your list and thought wow I used to have everything on that list bar cashews that was until I was diagnosed that is and all that has been cut down on, I think what Northerner has said is inperitive to you and is great help so i cant really add much more to what he said

I'd like to say Monty how very honest of you, I looked at your list and thought wow I used to have everything on that list bar cashews that was until I was diagnosed that is and all that has been cut down on, I think what Northerner has said is inperitive to you and is great help so i cant really add much more to what he said

I will be sticking that list on my desk at work (+) Northerner's suggestions as I have just took my blood sugar reading and it is terrible. Is there a good time to take a reading?

I will be sticking that list on my desk at work (+) Northerner's suggestions as I have just took my blood sugar reading and it is terrible. Is there a good time to take a reading?

I take my readings 1-2 hours after evening meal and on a morning 1 hour after brekkie, everyones diffirent

You should take a reading first thing in the morning, before you have eaten anything - known as your 'fasting level'. Otherwise it's a good idea to test before a meal (so you know your starting value) then one or two hours after the meal (to see how the food has affected you as it reaches the peak of its digestion). Here's a couple of good links to read:

http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=5835

http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=5836

You should take a reading first thing in the morning, before you have eaten anything - known as your 'fasting level'. Otherwise it's a good idea to test before a meal (so you know your starting value) then one or two hours after the meal (to see how the food has affected you as it reaches the peak of its digestion). Here's a couple of good links to read:

http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=5835

http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=5836

Very many thanks - I love the support given here.

I am a sucker for cashew nuts but you have to restrict your portion, they are 27% carb (inc 5% sugar) and thats they plain ones!
I stopped taking sugar in hot drinks many,many years ago (pre-diabetes). It took 2 weeks of hell to cut it out and now it would make coffee or tea taste terrible.

Not had much time for reading posts this week. Thought this was a new nasty complication!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back